Arduino / Raspberry Pi

Lineout

Joined Nov 20, 2013
What are the + and - 's of these two platforms.

Which do you recommed for applications that you are familiar with?

Personally , I eventually would like to be able to control rc cars planes via remote pc or android over the internet.

I understand the languages are not the same +- , and one costs more....that's about all I know so far.

What are your projects (ones you've completed , currently in) ?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would not attempt to compare Arduino with Raspberry Pi. There is a world of difference between the two.

For RC, especially planes, quadcopters or drones, I would use neither. Too heavy.

If you are now starting out learning about microcontrollers, get the Arduino and learn the ropes.

For RC, I would roll my own using light weight ultra low power chips.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
What would be the point of using ultra low power chips when the power taken up by a micro is going to be << 1% of the energy taken up by the power electronics eg. propulsion etc?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I eventually would like to be able to control rc cars planes via remote pc or android over the internet.
Real-time control would be next to impossible because of the unpredictable signal propagation delays over the Internet :(.

schitale

Joined Dec 27, 2013
Hi,

I am working on Raspberry Pi - B. I have to connect it to a AC Servo Motor Yaskawa 10C3C11.
I will have the following connections:

Rasp Pi ---- DC to DC booster ( 5 volts to 12 volts) ------ DC to AC inverter (12 volts DC to 110 Volts AC) ---- AC Servo motor.

I have to order the Booster and Inverter, what speifications would be important?

http://www.galco.com/buy/Yaskawa/sgmcs-10c3c11 (Motor Specifications)

PS: I am sending PWM control signal from Pi to Motor

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Real-time control would be next to impossible because of the unpredictable signal propagation delays over the Internet :(.
Internet delays aren't so bad, it depends on the definition of "control". If the unit is semi-autonomous, then the impact of delays are greatly mitigated. The Mars Rovers have substantial propagation delays, as do the drones in the news.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The Mars Rovers have substantial propagation delays, as do the drones in the news.
Are they really controlled via the internet? I would have thought military comms channels, with predictable propagation delays, would be used.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Are they really controlled via the internet? I would have thought military comms channels, with predictable propagation delays, would be used.
No, I mean that the Internet delays can't be any slower than sending a signal to Mars (minutes of delay) or that semi-autonomous allows a sort of fail-safe in case there are propagation delays on drones.