Arduino or PIC?

catherinefbalauro

Joined Feb 18, 2012
I was thinking of creating a surveillance mobile robot. And I am having a problem of choosing PIC or Arduino microcontroller. The surveillance mobile robot is controlled via wireless fidelity (Wi-Fi). If I choose PIC, is there a need for ethernet module? I have searched that it need it for arduino board to connect to internet. I have bit experienced with PIC but some say arduino is better for beginners. Which is better: using arduino or PIC for the project? or it should be done with both arduino and PIC? and also I am thinking of using android phone as the controller for the robot.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks :)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
First off you should know you can get an Arduino with a PIC as the processor.

A PIC is just a chip. A very popular chip but just a chip. You would need to find a development board you like and that support whatever peripherals you want. Example: Some PICs have ethernet support, but you would still need the chip on a board with the correct connector on it.

An Arduino is a platform with a large used base and various "shields" (add on boards) that come fully assembled and tested. You can create a stack by plugging one board into another.

For a one-off project where you build a limited number the Arduino has the advantage in ease of hardware development; nothing is easier then buying it off someone else shelf. For a production design you would want your own hardware.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
If you need to ask then Arduino is the right answer. Either needs help to talk to the internet. Add on are probably easier for the Arduino.

Just to cite one reason ( the list goes on and on ) With the arduino your chip version is pretty much choosen, the language is ( C ), and the compiler. With the Pic you can spend a month just making these decisions.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Arduino has the advantage of being pretty much ready to use. The tools for programming are readily available and free. There are tons of library functions for all of the most common hardware you might be interested in exploring.

Very user-friendly for those interested in becoming familiar with programming microcontrollers.

hgmjr