Arduino-Optoisolator help

Letech

Joined Dec 12, 2010
Hello,

I want to control 4 solenoid valves that requires 12 volts to operate. I'm using Arduino Duemilanove for control. After doing some reading on the web, I decided to use optoisolator (L9822EPD) as a solenoid driver.
Data sheet can be found here:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/stmicroelectronics/1416.pdf

Could someone help me figure out how I should connect this type of optoisolator to control at least one solenoid valve?

The solenoid valve is just like an inductor, it has two wires ( positive and negative )

Detailed help would be appreciated.

thanks

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Your idea of including an opto-isolator is a good one. By galvanically isolating the arduino and the higher voltage associated with the solenoid valve you will insure that the arduino will be protected against damage from the higher voltage.

Have you selected an opto-isolator device?

hgmjr

Letech

Joined Dec 12, 2010
Sorry, I was mixing up between the both.

Now, Would the arduino board be burned without using the opto-isolator?
and if yes, could you explain to me how the opto-isolator will be connected?

I'm connecting the arduino pins (13, 10, 12, 11) to L922E pins (18, 17, 2, 19) respectively. Is that correct?

Now, how to control the valves?

Sorry, I guess there are two different points on my reply (Opto-isolator, and solenoid drivers).

thanks,

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The opto-isolater is not a necessity. It is more of a safeguard against any high voltage spikes that might find their way back into the Arduino.

It permits you to isolate the +5V and +12V power supplies from each other.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
There is one snag though. The solenoid driver uses +5V and +12V so the use of an opto-isolator is somewhat of a problem since it would require you to use another regulator off of your +12V to provide the +5V for the serial interface to the driver.

hgmjr

Letech

Joined Dec 12, 2010
It is because I was looking at a custom designed PCB that can drive the solenoid valves, but I don't have the schematic for it, and it has three opto-isolator on it (4N37).

Letech

Joined Dec 12, 2010
I think I will mount them close to each other in one box of dimensions 7, 6, 4 cm. Arduino on the bottom side of the box and the Solenoid driver on the top side of the box (the box lid).

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Would you be comfortable omitting the opto-isolator since the device you have chosen appears to be intended for use with a microcontroller directly connected?

hgmjr

Letech

Joined Dec 12, 2010
Thanks hgmjr. I'm thinking of postponing the use of the opto-isolator until I figure out how to control the solenoid.
But I still don't know how to control the solenoid taking into consideration the pin configuration that I have explained earlier.

Letech

Joined Dec 12, 2010
I have just realized that the SPI library is already included with the most updated version of arduino (arduino 0022).

Good work arduino, always working a head.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
You need to post the specs for the solenoids before you go any further. (specifically the amount of current they require to operate)
All you might need is a transistor and a resistor to control your solenoids.. Or solid state relays or an optoisolator with a resistor and a relay combination if you wish to have isolation..
But this all depends on the specifics of the solenoids you wish to control.
There is really no need to get into SPI.. That's just complicating the subject somewhat.