Arduino LCD Keypad Questions

Colossus

Joined Aug 12, 2009
My goal is to try and control audio frequencies with the buttons on the Arduino LCD module.

I will be using an Arduino Duemilanove module to program the device.

I want to have the frequency in hertz displayed on the LCD and be able to use the push buttons to raise or lower the frequency.

What other components might i need to be able to generate various low audio frequencies(around 1-50 Hz)?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Are you interested in squarewave output signals or are you wanting the output signals to be sinusoidal?

hgmjr

Last edited:

Colossus

Joined Aug 12, 2009
Square waves

I was looking at various squarewave signal generators but i was wondering if you had any other ideas?

Is there an easy/cheap way to do this?

Last edited:

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
So your goal is to have the AVR produce a squarewave (50% DUTYCYCLE) whose frequency can be adjusted between 1 Hertz and 50 Hertz using the push buttons. Is this an accurate interpretation of your intent?

hgmjr

Colossus

Joined Aug 12, 2009
I wasn't sure the AVR could produce square waves but if it can that would be great. Other than that, Yes those are the specifications of the project.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The AVR like all microcontroller are geared to output squarewaves naturally. It is more challenging to program a microcontroller to output a sinusoid. That takes a digital-to-analog converter device or R2R resistor network.

hgmjr

Colossus

Joined Aug 12, 2009
So all i need are the two components and some programming skill?

Also, if i wanted to use it without the USB cable would i just attach a +5v power supply to the module?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I'm not sure what two components you are refering to. If you are referring to the arduino and the LCD display board then that is a start. You will probalby need some sort of buffer IC depending on what you plan to drive with the squarewave. That is because the output line from the microcontroller can only produce a few milliamps of current drive.

hgmjo