Arduino control of a Horizon Paragon II treadmill motor control board?

CharlieInOttawa

Joined Jun 29, 2020
I was given said treadmill, and hope to use the motor and motor control board in a lathe, but without keeping the treadmill upper control board and controls/display. I had hoped that the treadmill had an MC-60 or MC-2100, but no luck. I have not been able to read the board number from the board, and cannot identify it from any of the many ebay ads for similar control boards.

IMG_20200614_142158.jpg

I have found a manual which suggests that console cable B3 is "speed control", B6 is "RPM" (which I'm guessing might be connected to a reed switch next to the roller pulley) and B10 is "PWM". "Correct voltage" for B3 is listed as zero volts (so I don't know how that can "control" anything) and for B10 is 5V, presumably that is PWM, and I don't know what frequency is required. Another thread here suggests that RPM feedback is critical for function of these boards, so just providing a PWM signal won't be sufficient.

Can anyone here identify that board (or guess the identity), or provide more information about the console <-> control board interface? Or would anyone like to swap this board set for an MC-60 or MC-2100?

Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The MC2100 and MC-60 do not require a rpm sensor, in these systems, it is not processed by the motor board, but sent to the console. So it bypasses the motor board.
The MC-60 just needs a 5k pot, the MC2100 uses a 20Hz PWM control signal.
P.S. I don;t recognize that board! :(
I have some MC2100's, I designed and built a 20Hz controller's for them, includes stop/start P.B. signal.
Max.

CharlieInOttawa

Joined Jun 29, 2020
Yep, I knew that about the Mc-60 and MC-2100. I really hoped you would be able to add something about the Horizon board. I can see a transformer on it, and the diode bridge. And what looks like a relay. Otherwise it's a mystery.

I might need to hunt for another treadmill, or buy an SCR board. I think the MC-xxx boards are too expensive for me.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Fortunately the popular ones have been reverse-engineered, but there are still a few odd ones out there with no details available, unfortunately.
Max,

Kalvin

Joined Jan 1, 2017
Screenshot_2020-12-08 50ad6a562949e8a1dc5c7b846765a643 pdf.png

Hope this might help you. Tread careful, might not be the same for yours.....but I would take a guess those 12 lines are the same. :)

Kalvin

Joined Jan 1, 2017
Charlie, please disregard my last post. Does not apply to your controller.

Google. 54c14b21a33d970fb0beb252b7d83034.pdf

If it's gone let me know. I kept a copy....just for you. :)

Giomonte

Joined Jun 26, 2020
I was given said treadmill, and hope to use the motor and motor control board in a lathe, but without keeping the treadmill upper control board and controls/display. I had hoped that the treadmill had an MC-60 or MC-2100, but no luck. I have not been able to read the board number from the board, and cannot identify it from any of the many ebay ads for similar control boards...
Newbie here. I successfully wired a Horizon CST 3.6 controller and motor. I have a Horizon T25 controller and motor as well (need to replace the rectifier MP3510s...hard to find). These controllers and yours are very similar. The 12 pin connector appears identical to all. Kalvin's pointer to the Johnson/Horizon Service Manual (google 54c14b21a33d970fb0beb252b7d83034.pdf ) is valid.

Following is how I wired the Horizon CST 3.6 which should also work for you:
Get a PWM signal generator like this: google "XY-KPWM".

Connect PWM GND to B4orange; VCC to B7blue; GND to ?; PWM to B9grey.
(NOTE: 2nd GND not required, but I assume it should be used--to B4orange)

Put toggle on/off switch between b10white and B5yellow (motor enable); set switch to off.

Set PWM generator to default ON (long-press button to change default); set frequency between 160-320 (what the motor controller seems to require); set the duty% low (~10%) for slow/safe test start.
(Note: Yes, it is required that PWM be ON before toggle switch is turned ON.)

To start: turn on power to motor controller; then switch on toggle switch. Motor should turn slowly. Control speed via PWM duty% knob.