Arcsine Question

ElectronicsFanatic

Joined Feb 12, 2012
Ok I just got done taking a test and I wasn't sure the answer to the following question. Maybe someone can help me understand this better. This is all new material to me so I am having some trouble getting it down.

What is wrong with a problem that requires finding the derivative y=arcsin(x²+1)

I know the formula for this is \(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2\)

I don't understand why this wont work? Does anyone have any hints to send my way. I really don't know why it wouldn't work

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Ok I just got done taking a test and I wasn't sure the answer to the following question. Maybe someone can help me understand this better. This is all new material to me so I am having some trouble getting it down.

What is wrong with a problem that requires finding the derivative y=arcsin(x²+1)

I don't understand why this wont work? Does anyone have any hints to send my way. I really don't know why it wouldn't work
Well, if you set x^2 + 1 equal to 0 and try to solve for x, you're going to get an imaginary number. You can't take the arcsin of an imaginary number. That is if I'm remembering my factoring correctly :D:p

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010

It's a composite function.

You need to use the chain-rule: dy/dx = [(dy/du)(du/dx)]

The change in u cancels.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
It's a composite function.

You need to use the chain-rule: dy/dx = [(dy/du)(du/dx)]

The change in u cancels.
Why are you taking the derivative? It's a simple arcsin question (sin^-1). It's to find the angle of a specific value on a coordinate plane. Nothing more.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Why are you taking the derivative? It's a simple arcsin question (sin^-1). It's to find the angle of a specific value on a coordinate plane. Nothing more.
If you refer to the question carefully, he said, "What is wrong with a problem that requires finding the derivative y=arcsin(x²+1)."

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
y=arcsin(x²+1)
consider

x² >= 0 thus

(x²+1) >= 1
and only equal if x=0.

But sin (θ) <= 1

so the only value of x that you can take this arc sin is x=0

You cannot take the differential of a function that has a single point - it does not vary.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
consider

x² >= 0 thus

(x²+1) >= 1
and only equal if x=0.

But sin (θ) <= 1

so the only value of x that you can take this arc sin is x=0

You cannot take the differential of a function that has a single point - it does not vary.
I don't believe it. Thanks for pointing that out, I missed that one. I need to observe a function more carefully before approaching it, thanks Studiot!

ElectronicsFanatic

Joined Feb 12, 2012
Ok, I think I get what you guys are all saying, so, I am going to go through this process using the formula I have learned and anyone let me know when I make a mistake.

\(\frac{2x}{1}\times\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(x^2+1)^2}}\)

\(\frac{2x}{\sqrt{1-(x^2+1)^2}\)

This is where I start to not quite understand

I think the final answer would be the following:

\(\frac{2}{\sqrt{-1(x^2+1)}}\)

When I set \(x^2+1=0\) I understand how I am getting an imaginary number.

That would be \(x=\sqrt{-1}\)

So what happened to the square on \((x^2+1)^2\) to just become \((x^2+1)\)

I am probably making this harder than it needs to be. I really understand what you guys are all saying I am trying to relate it to the formula. Thanks everyone for the answers. I am understanding it a whole lot better than i did before.

ElectronicsFanatic

Joined Feb 12, 2012
ok I applied the chain rule to \( (x^2+1)^2 \) as you stated amilton542. I can now see how the answer is applied.

That took a little longer than i wanted but i understand now thanks everyone. I think Studiot made it the easiest to understand. I am still trying to remember to apply easier methods to the problems. You guys are all a wealth of information. I wont forget that one again.

Last edited:

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I think you were directed to my post#7.

y=arcsin(x²+1)

Has no derivative.

That is dy/dx does not exist anywhere.

Oh and welcome to All About Circuits.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
ok I applied the chain rule to \( (x^2+1)^2 \) as you stated amilton542. I can now see how the answer is applied.

That took a little longer than i wanted but i understand now thanks everyone
Nooooooo, the functions fixed its not changing thats the problem.

I would like to apologise for giving you the chain-rule, I read your question to fast.

Refer to what studiot has pointed-out, its post #7.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I think you were directed to my post#7.

y=arcsin(x²+1)

Has no derivative.

That is dy/dx does not exist anywhere.

Oh and welcome to All About Circuits.
dy/dx is usually implied when someone is told to take the derivative of a function, I think.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
dy/dx is usually implied when someone is told to take the derivative of a function, I think
There is no neighbourhoods about the points x=0, y= (4n+1)∏/2, which are the only points on the graph of

y=arcsin(x²+1)

The function does not exist for any other value of x.
It is not a question of imaginary numbers, x is not imaginary.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The function does not exist for any other value of x.
It is not a question of imaginary numbers, x is not imaginary.
Yeah, that was from when I misunderstood the question. I misread it and thought it was just asking to solve it, not take the derivative.

ElectronicsFanatic

Joined Feb 12, 2012
So does our new member now understand?
Yes. Thanks everyone. The farthest I got in math was precalculus about 12 years ago in high school. This is all new material for me so I appreciate everyone being patient with me and all the help.

I am slowly trying to remember everything I have learned thus far. I am just about done with Calculus I and will take a break from math for a couple of months and start up again with Calculus II in June. I hope to have all my math finished by December so I can then focus on all the funner parts of electronics. Not that I don't like math, because I enjoy trying to figure things out using math. It just isn't always fun.:D