Apt Fire Pics

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Why do you guys use wood to build houses. I have noticed this.

We newer use wood to build houses. Not even in rural areas.

But else where in the world people build using wood.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Why do you guys use wood to build houses. I have noticed this.

We newer use wood to build houses. Not even in rural areas.

But else where in the world people build using wood.
Actually we use mainly plastic these days. :)

Seriously wood is very abundant in the United States plus it is renewable.

In the old days homes were made out of sod and buffalo chips were used for fuel. in the plains states , because that is what they had.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
We never use wood for the walls. It's always cement and bricks.
We would use wood as the floor deck at times

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You have a lot of sand! :)

Most homes is Porto Rico and Virgin Islands are cement (the good ones :)).

Our floors are usually carpeted. I hate it. I put composite wood (looks real somewhat) on my first floor. I just need a broom to clean the floor and a mop once in a while.

I would rather have a ceramic floor but that is much harder to put down if you do not have one already (our base floor is plywood). More expensive or older homes have hardwood. My parents have an old home and they carpeted over them!

My friend in Italy lives in an all concrete apartment. It is like a bank vault. He has a steel door with big bolts that extend on 2 sides of the door when the door is locked. A third side has fixed bolts.

Most homes there are stone or concrete with ceramic floors.

In the U.S. you don't need to break in through the door or a window. A good razor knife will do. Cut through the plastic siding, the outside fiberboard wall (if there is one), pull out some insulation, cut through the wall board and you are in the house!

Some homes in the US are brick. My parents live in a brick home. It is like a fort!. These are usually old or very expensive homes.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
In Texas homes do not have cellars, though given we are in tornado alley we could use them. The reason is our bedrock is less than 6 feet down. It is hard to cut through bedrock.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
It may be easy to break in to a house in Texas, but what is harder to do is not be seen by a neighbor while you are doing it.

On my block, at least, we have a watch program and people who patrol the streets, not cops, people who live there.

In Texas you can shoot someone who breaks into a neighbors home, and at night you can shoot them if they are merely on your property uninvited.

We don't have a lot of home invasions in this state for some reason.

Hmmm.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
We even have felons from other states come get ours
If you are a felon in one state, you're a felon in all states.
either someone is feeding you a line of bull, or someone down there isn't doing their job.
It is against federal for a convicted felon to be in the presence of a firearm.
That means not only can they not own/carry one, they cannot be around one.
You might want to check the source of your facts..

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Like I said...
or someone down there isn't doing their job.
Federal law still prohibits a felon from possesing a firearm. Someone in
FL, giving out permits, does not make the felon exempt from prosecution for possesing a firearm.

What is the "Felony Guide" you quoted from?