applying noise to image

onqun

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Hello guys. I have an RGB image i separated the channels. Now I need to apply noise. Gaussian white noise, uniform white noise, periodic random noise. I have built in functions for those noises. Do I need to multiply them with picture to get the noisy image?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
What sorts of values do you get from those functions? If, by "separating" the channels, you mean you have sequestered each signal intensity into a separate value, how might you expect the noise to affect those values? What is the noise source supposed to be - is it in transmission of the composite signal, or due to random events in the image generation?

What are the limits that any of the R, G, &B values can be altered by the noise?

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
No onqun you just want to do simple addition, though you would want to use an adjustable multiplier to allow you to control how much noise is applied to the image. 1 would be complete noise (no image at all) .01 would be 1% noise

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What program do you use to apply the noise?

If you want to "play" with noise on an image, you could take a look at the image manipulation program GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org/

It is totaly free and available for all kinds of operating systems.

Bertus