Applications Crashing

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
(I run Mac OSX Leopard)

Recently, my xCode has just been crashing, as in immediately when I click on it, it crashes, I tried dragging out of my applications to the trash, emptying the trash and reinstalling, but it still crashed. Is there anything else I can do to reinstall it and have it work? I should mention that it did, when I originally install it, function correctly.

On that note, I just downloaded MacroASM a couple minutes ago, and that never worked from the start, right when I click on it, it crashes. Anyone know why, or can help?

I would post this on the Mac Forum, but I had the xcode problem on there for about a week now and haven't got an answer.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
About 20 minutes ago, I reinstalled some apple loops for garage band from one of the install discs, and now garage band doesn't work anymore, same problem

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
As a first shot to nothing, since this doesn't appear to be tied to one app have you tried disabling Bonjour to see if that has any effect?

Dave

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
I typed this into the Terminal shell and executed it:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

That didn't work, xcode and GB still crash. I checked the path, and that is correct, is the syntax correct?

I forgot about those files, where would you find those files? Thanks

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I typed this into the Terminal shell and executed it:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

That didn't work, xcode and GB still crash. I checked the path, and that is correct, is the syntax correct?
Not sure what you are trying to achieve here, so cannot give suitable advice.

I forgot about those files, where would you find those files? Thanks
The preferencefile is located at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Xcode.plist

Trash xCode, delete the preferences file, then reinstall xCode.

Does that help?

Dave

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
Oh sorry, I meant to mention that little command supposedly turns off bonjour.

Ok, it worked with xcode, do you think that will work with GB too? I am worried that there may be something worse, because last time I opened iChat and iMovie they are both acting the same way, would deleting their preference work too?

Just out of curiosity, why is it so important to delete the preferences as well as the actual file, how does it cause the whole app to crash even if you reinstalled the actual program?

THANKS A LOT!!!

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Oh sorry, I meant to mention that little command supposedly turns off bonjour.
The command to momentarily disable Bonjour is:

Rich (BB code):
launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/\com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
This works in Tiger, but not sure about Leopard.

Ok, it worked with xcode, do you think that will work with GB too? I am worried that there may be something worse, because last time I opened iChat and iMovie they are both acting the same way, would deleting their preference work too?
Try GB to see what effect it has. We have only served to potentially isolate the problem, but the problem still exists. Bonjour is useful on a Mac so if disabling fixes something, it is still not a desirable thing.

If there is persistent problems, which from what you are saying is possibly the case, might I suggest you repair the problematic apps through /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility (also accessible from the Leopard boot disk). The wizard should guide you through the steps. Although it shouldn't affect you personal files, the advice is as always: back-up your data.

Just out of curiosity, why is it so important to delete the preferences as well as the actual file, how does it cause the whole app to crash even if you reinstalled the actual program?
The preferences file is a per-user config for a particular application. The core-app files, which are what is contained in the single file that you initially trashed, are the program itself. This file is the same for all users and typically doesn't change with usage.

When you launch the app, it uses the preference file to config the app for your user account, for example by setting user directories, toolbar set-ups etc. If your preference file becomes corrupted, trashing the app does nothing as a reinstall still calls the borked preference file on start-up. In essence, it is just like a distributed version of the Windows Registry.

THANKS A LOT!!!
Your welcome.

Dave