Anyone knows what a FIP is?

Thread Starter

Cell

Joined Feb 25, 2006
2
Hello,
I'm currently building a digital speedometer for my scooter. I'll use the schematic found on http://martybugs.net/electronics/speedo.cgi. It requires 3 LED display.

This morning I went in a electronic store and found a super cool display, not too expensive so I bought it. (I tought it was a LED display)

Here's the picture:

In the back it's written : NEC FIP3AM21 NO 81-4 JAPAN.

After intensive research, I found out that I didn't buy a led display, but a Fluorescent indicator panel., which works with a microcontroller!

Here come my question, is there any way to use that FIP as a LED display? (wihout a μ C or complicated stuff)
 

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
14,464
Originally posted by Cell@Feb 25 2006, 09:30 PM
Hello,
I'm currently building a digital speedometer for my scooter. I'll use the schematic found on http://martybugs.net/electronics/speedo.cgi. It requires 3 LED display.

This morning I went in a electronic store and found a super cool display, not too expensive so I bought it. (I tought it was a LED display)

Here's the picture:

In the back it's written : NEC FIP3AM21 NO 81-4 JAPAN.

After intensive research, I found out that I didn't buy a led display, but a Fluorescent indicator panel., which works with a microcontroller!

Here come my question, is there any way to use that FIP as a LED display? (wihout a μ C or complicated stuff)
[post=14385]Quoted post[/post]​
Vacuum Florescent displays generally require a high voltage supply. That should intimidate you if you know nothing of how to build a boost regulator to boost your +12-14V battery to say 50-80 volts or possibly higher. If the display requires a separate signal for each segment and a signal for each digit then you just might have a chance with the counter and seven segment decoder of the published circuit. If the nature of your display is that you need to send data over a serial or parallel port then you are well and truly hosed. I may be going out on a limb here, but I think you just bought more than you can chew. Sorry 'bout that.
 

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
14,464
Originally posted by Papabravo@Feb 25 2006, 11:12 PM
Vacuum Florescent displays generally require a high voltage supply. That should intimidate you if you know nothing of how to build a boost regulator to boost your +12-14V battery to say 50-80 volts or possibly higher. If the display requires a separate signal for each segment and a signal for each digit then you just might have a chance with the counter and seven segment decoder of the published circuit. If the nature of your display is that you need to send data over a serial or parallel port then you are well and truly hosed. I may be going out on a limb here, but I think you just bought more than you can chew. Sorry 'bout that.
[post=14389]Quoted post[/post]​
I may have to take back part of my previous post. It seems that lower voltage VFDs designed to run off of automotive batteries are out there. I suggest the following URL for a list of VFD makers:
MAXIM Website
Maxim makes controller chips in case you want to attack the uP angle.
 

Thread Starter

Cell

Joined Feb 25, 2006
2
Originally posted by Papabravo@Feb 26 2006, 12:36 AM
I may have to take back part of my previous post. It seems that lower voltage VFDs designed to run off of automotive batteries are out there. I suggest the following URL for a list of VFD makers:
MAXIM Website
Maxim makes controller chips in case you want to attack the uP angle.
[post=14390]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks, I made more research on the internet about VFD's, and I found this website: http://hem.passagen.se/communication/vfd.html They explain how VFD's works. I've been abe to light 1 segment (using 3Vdc filament and 12Vdc grid/segment)!

The hard part is that there's 3 things to power. The grid, the segment and the filament. However two grid cannot be activated at the same time... I have to think of a way to use it, it's so beautiful lol
 
Top