Anyone knows the symbol of a jumper wire?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cumesoftware, Sep 16, 2007.

  1. cumesoftware

    Thread Starter Senior Member

    Apr 27, 2007
    I'm working on an amplifier project that will need ground decoupling. I will have two grounds, one for the input and feedback circuit and other for the output and amplifier. I will connect both grounds using a wire. My question is, what is the apropriate symbol for a jumper wire like that?

    I tried to search the web for this but didn't got lucky.
  2. John Luciani

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 3, 2007
    I have seen jumpers done with an arc and a hollow circle at each end.
    Imagine a parethesis rotated 90deg and place a hollow circle at
    either end. If I come across an example I will post a link.

    (* jcl *)
  3. beenthere

    Retired Moderator

    Apr 20, 2004
    As an indicator on the pc board, make a line between the pads using the top silk layer. If you want it to show up on the CAD file, do the line as top copper.
  4. SgtWookie


    Jul 17, 2007
    I've seen it as the arc connecting two wires as well - but that's easily confused with the fuse symbol and the symbol for headphones.

    I've also seen them drawn as:
    Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    2. -------->>---------------<<-------
    3.         2J5              5J2
    (the dashed line is actually solid in the diagram; this is just crude ASCII graphics)

    I like beenthere's suggestion.

    If the jumpers were removeable (like those for selecting a disk drive's master/slave/etc) I'd suggest using a SPST switch, but labeling it as JPnn, as this would make it easier to run PSPICE simulations.
  5. cumesoftware

    Thread Starter Senior Member

    Apr 27, 2007
    Thanks SgtWookie and beenthere for all the help.

    P.S.: The wire is not for switching. Is is there for ground decoupling.