Anyone here use an HP P1102W for toner transfer?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Well the toner cartridge on my HP went belly up. I have a huge chip in the (what I guess is) the heater.

Yeah I could go out a buy a new cartridge but the darn printer never work right in the first place. It jammed a lot. Maybe what lead damage on the cartridge.

I came across this at Tiger Direct. I figure instead of investing money in a cartridge that may or may not work I might as well buy a new printer for $80.

And yes I know I won't get a full cartridge but at least I won't have a printer that jams.

So has anyone had luck with the HP P1102W?

I did some searching and found a few posts of people that had great luck with this printer and toner transfer.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Haven't heard negative things about them, just Brother toner (Brother lasers work fine with aftermarket toner), and HP Toner being great. Aftermaket for HP works as good as stock brother toner - melting point too high/absorbent to re-melt.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So let me get this straight. Brother printers work fine with aftermarket toners but HP printers only work great with HP toners?

But which aftermarket Brother toners?

It sounds like to me if I want to remove most unknowns I am better to go with an HP printer and HP toner?

But some of the aftermarket HP toners are cheap enough that it might be worth trying.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
BTW I have an aftermarket HP toner now. Could be why I always got mixed results. Mixed being usually barely suitable.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
So let me get this straight. Brother printers work fine with aftermarket toners but HP printers only work great with HP toners?

But which aftermarket Brother toners?
Yeah, weird, isn't it?

I think it has to do with the fusing temp. Brothers are a fixed temperature, so the fuser stays the same when harder to melt toner is used, so it transfers fine.

HP senses non-HP toner through contacts or some odd sensor built in, or by menu choice (which is usually auto-set to "non-HP" if non-HP has been installed), and increases the fuser heat for aftermarket toner, so it melts into the paper more, and needs to be heated up a good deal higher to re-melt. Even if the aftermarket toner didn't need a higher melting point, once it was set with one, it sticks together more.

Lexmark have mixed reviews.

I think most all of the problems come down to "Original Print Fusing Temperature", if it's low, it's easy to transfer, if it's 50 or 100 degrees higher, it's not so easy to transfer. Try much more heat and pressure on a pre-heated board?