Anyone Here RepRap?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
http://vimeo.com/5202148#

Years ago, I bought a few parts for one, but I never seem to have time to work on it.:(

Always, too many irons in the fire....
LOL
I always wanted to build one but never had time or the money to do so ....The design mechanical is a piece of cake from me since I can build just about anything ,but I have no idea where to begin with the electronics.. Also I wanted to build a similar design in order to mill my pcb board which I would love to do because having a apartment with a couple kids and any kind of acid with no work bench is bad idea...

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Yeah, the electronic portion was a little mind-bending for me.

I'd be better off buying one already made, even though I've made similar contraptions at work....

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
We have built two. The electronics are actually the easy part if you buy the commerically avaialble boards (~$200 if I remember correctly - prices keep dropping). Also need an Adruino. An SD card reader with an LCD display is also helpful (Commerically avaialble for about $50) so you don't need a dedicated computer to drive as it prints.

The tough part is turning the machine and 'slicing' the CAD file with a slicer software. The slicer lets you cut the part in multiples of your machines resolution. You can also adjust the density & strength of the final part by adjusting the wall thinkness and fill rate.