Anyone have some anti stat foam or tubes for 6502 size chips?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I used to work for a environmental control company years ago. The company went defunct and some of my ex-coworkers took over the maintenance on those old systems.

Long story short I built a lap top based test system for the boards in the field devices. I also wrote a full fledged PC based environmental control system that replaced a DEC PDP 11/34.

I still have a couple of the FIDs around (Field Interface Device) and the boards were based off of the 6502.

I would like to rescue these chips but need a way to store them.

I used to love the KIM computer and thought it would be an interesting project to build something similar.

Does any one have any spare anti static foam or tubes large enough for the 6502?

If you send me some I will be happy to send you a couple of 6502s, 6522s and what ever else I rescue. I don't make any guarantees that they will work, they have been around for a very long time! :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Ooh! ooh!, got any R65C02's? The Rockwell chips had an interesting instruction set addition.
Yes I have at least one. I will check if I have more (I think so)

Want to trade? :)

BTW where would you lay your hands on the instruction set for the Rockwell? What were it's extra capabilities?

I am also looking for a hex keypad. I can't seem to find one anywhere. Plenty of 16 button keypads but none with A-F on them. It would be nice to not have to put my own numbers on them. Plus I would need more that 16 buttons anyway. But I guess I could always use other buttons for some of the other functions that I will need.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
No keypads, I'm afraid. I'm heavy on EEPROM's and who knows what else? Have to did through some boxes. I may have foam, but not likely to have wide tubes.

The instructions were conditional branches based on individual bit states. You have BBR (branch bit reset) and BBS (branch bit set). The assembler directive would be BBR1,label. That would do a branch to the label if bit 1 in A was 0. Handy for doing interrupt programming.

The TASM has that instruction set in it. I used an assembler written in Applesoft Basic (how could that not be a winner?), with my improved printer output and the Rockwell code extensions.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've bought squares of black conductive foam from Tanner's for 29¢ each, they have lots more. Want me to send you some? They are 3"X2"X3/8". Send me a PM.

I have a lot of 6502s (6510s?), they're all mounted in my largish collection of dead C64s though.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I have experienced a piece of black foam with chips in it that had turned to mush and the chips had the pins corroded and tended to break off when scrapping off the foam. I've got other chips in black foam that are fine. I've wondered if the foam was different or the storage environments were different. I don't know since these chips were all bought at garage sales and flea markets. I've been told that the tubes are the best storage but then you need different sizes.

Anyway, something to think about. I do prefer the foam that is more "crunchy" rather than soft, the chips go in easier and maybe bend the pins less.

What happened to the 11/34? Now it'd be worth a lot more than a pile of PC's.

Regards, Jim

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Re hex keyboard: Three heathkit products that I know of had these. The HERO robot, et-3400 trainer and H8 computer. You can look for these but if they are in good shape they can be pretty pricey. And you ain't getting mine.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What happened to the 11/34? Now it'd be worth a lot more than a pile of PC's.

Regards, Jim
My friends might still have an 11/34 or two. I can't imagine how many of them wound up on the trash heap.

With the software I wrote, I was able to unplug the 11/34 and plug in the PC with my software.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I've bought squares of black conductive foam from Tanner's for 29¢ each, they have lots more. Want me to send you some? They are 3"X2"X3/8". Send me a PM.

I have a lot of 6502s (6510s?), they're all mounted in my largish collection of dead C64s though.
Does Tanner have a website?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes, but it is useless for ordering. It is meant to guide people to the store. Tanner's focuses on walk ins, while BG Micro does the internet sales, they are almost a partnership in that they buy stock together. I don't know if BG Micro has the foam or not, they might.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You actually have an electronic supply walk in store in your area?

We used to have several years ago. I am not sure if any still exist here in Pittsburgh.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007