Anyone have a wiring guide for a 6-pin audio transformer?

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
I've got an audio transformer (170 to 8ohm) with 6 wires. Got it at a local parts store. I didn't notice in the package it has 6 wires, and I've never used on like that.

1. why is there what looks like a tap on both side?; and
2. does anyone have an image or the like to explain the wiring?

Some time back I made an adapter for an airplane using an 1000-8 transformer, and I was looking to make another though this was all I could find locally.

thanks as always.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I guess that one side is the primary and the other side is secondary. Further guess that the middle wire on each side is the centre tap.
If you have a meter check the resistance on each side. the higher resistance will be the primary. Don't expect it to read 170Ω on your meter.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’m not sure what you mean by “a tap on both sides”, but maybe what I say next will help.

The label identifies this as a CT or Center Tapped transformer.

This means that you can create different ratios, by using one end and the center tap versus both ends. The center tap connects at the midpoint of each winding. For example, if the ratio of the primary to the secondary is 12:1, connecting to the secondary center tap will give you a 6:1 ratio. The same is true for the primary; it will provide s different ratio. If the transformer has the ratio you desire, you can ignore the center tap.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Some time back I made an adapter for an airplane using an 1000-8 transformer, and I was looking to make another though this was all I could find locally.
I assume that's a 1000Ω to 8Ω transformer, which is significantly different then the 170Ω to 8Ω you bought.
You could try it, but it may not work if you are trying to make the same adapter.

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
Ok, thanks to all.

DJSFANTASI, that was what I was looking for. I think I can ignore the CTs and just use the ends.

Crutschow, yes it was a 1000ohm to 8ohm, and yes I know it's quite a bit different. I used the 1000:8 because that's all that was there; the input (I'm told) has a max of 150, so I was curious to see if the 170:8 to worked. There's not real threat here--works or it doesn't.

Thanks again.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The transformer will undoubtedly work to some degree, and it may even work much better in the application, which I have no idea what you are wanting to connect to what. so I qualify my assertion by saying that it is a "best guess" based on almost no information about any aspect of the application.

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
The transformer will undoubtedly work to some degree, and it may even work much better in the application, which I have no idea what you are wanting to connect to what. so I qualify my assertion by saying that it is a "best guess" based on almost no information about any aspect of the application.
Well I was only asking about the CT on the other side—not so much about what it can or cannot do.

On a somewhat related note, physically tearing the piece up not withstanding, can an audio transformer fail from age?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Possible, but not likely in a normal audio circuit lifetime.
I have had extensive arguments with musical people who insist that electronics wears out quite rapidly, almost as soon as it is not "state of the art", they tell me. They are even more obnoxious that the folks who can hear the difference between #10 solid speaker wire and #10 stranded speaker wire. And far more expensive because it is always OTHER people's systems that need to be replaced.

Audio transformers run within their power ratings and kept dry should last many decades.