Anyone Go Clamming?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
While I was visiting the coast at New Smyrna Beach, Fl a few weeks ago, I talked to an old, salty fisherman who said he was there raking clams. Later I took out my kayak and found all kinds of clam beds. I'm thinking I'd like to collect a few clams and cook them on the beach. Here's my delima, I don't know if there are edible and non-edible ones. I don't know if the clams I'm finding are worth collecting - they look kind'a nasty. And lastly, I don't know if there is any special preperation required before cooking wild clams. Look on the internet, and didn't find much.

I did find out that clam season is closed until end of August. Never too early to get info, though.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I have never heard of non edible clams. In my coastel areas. The problem may be that the clams eat some algae. That make the clams toxic. This is not a problem caused by polution. It is just some natural algae. That thrive in the summer time:mad:
Do not be bother by how they look. Some of finest food fish are ugly. But size may have something to say. Also try sea snails. As good as any clam

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I did oysters, once. You just steam them until they surrender. Doesn't do you much good except for the idea that shell inhabiting creatures are simpler than they look. ps, look out for barnacles on the shells. They are razor sharp and will take your skin off before you can get the clam loose from its moorings (if it's attached to anything).

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
And also as tip. Clams found on sandy bottom. Will need about 12 to 24 hours to get rid of sand particles. I put them in a net and hang them from suspended from a pier to fix this. You may also use a bucket and change the water(use salt water) now and then

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I love clams, snails, and about everything else from sea water.

Never raked them.:D

As a kid, we used to eat fresh water mussels, snails, turtles, snakes, and crawfish, (crayfish)....etc.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I forgot to say this. My comment on size matters. Was not on taste. But you will need so many of the small ones to get a mouthful. And the smaller ones would have no chance to breed either. So let the smallest once stay :)

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I have never heard of non edible clams. In my coastel areas. The problem may be that the clams eat some algae. That make the clams toxic.
I would consider that non edible. Good hint. I'll need to learn to check for that.

I forgot to say this. My comment on size matters. Was not on taste. But you will need so many of the small ones to get a mouthful. And the smaller ones would have no chance to breed either. So let the smallest once stay
I did learn this: the state has a minimum size for clams that can be harvested. They need to be at least 3" as measured by the shell.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I would consider that non edible. Good hint. I'll need to learn to check for that.
This is where the old saying,"never eat shellfish in the months not ending in "R"" came from. The algae blooms making them toxic. But now they say it's an old wives tale.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
This is where the old saying,"never eat shellfish in the months not ending in "R"" came from. The algae blooms making them toxic. But now they say it's an old wives tale.
That should be, a month that does not have an R in the name (May, June, July, August ). January to April were considered good fishing months too.

Also, was because there are the warm months that let fish (all meat) rot quickly.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
In my part of my country we for the most have Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning. It can be deadly but most of times it manifest itself as a very long and acute crapulence, with diarrhea as an bonus:eek:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Ok, now you're scaring me. I'm already freaked out enough about eating anything from the ocean, given all the problems and toxins showing up in fish. And, clams do alot of filtering of the water they live in.

I've read that the Indian River Lagoon, where I go kayaking, has had red and brown tide issues in the last several years.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
In our country. Clams are tested weekly by an governmental department. And advice are given if it is safe to eat clams. Perhaps you have something like it

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Here in NYS we have strongly enforced laws concerning who, how, where, when, and with what you can take clams. I think the only safe way is to wade in and wiggle your feet, and then there is still a bag limit and closed areas.

The closed areas are due to a substance generically known as "fecal contamination."

Bon appetit !!!