Anybody know where I can find "toolbox" style portable enclosures?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I need an enclosure, similar to the old style o-scope enclosures, like this:

I need to make a portable heater controller, not much to it. The enclosure needs enough room on the front face for an upright 1/8DIN panel meter, a thermocouple jack, and a 240V twist-lock receptacle. Inside dimensions don't need to be as big as in the pic; just deep enough for the panel meter (say, 5 inches) and enough room for a SSR, fuse block, and terminal strip.

Has anybody seen blank enclosures like the one in the pic, or have a better idea? I can't seem to find one; checked all my usual suspects, plus OKW, fibox, etc.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I buy a lot of my enclosures just plain, I have to drill all my holes for knobs, jacks, etc. You can get small ones at RadioShack, though they're a bit overpriced. I suggest going to shopping.google.com and search for "project enclosures". Seems the simplest place to start, anyway.

Best wishes,
Matt

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I buy a lot of my enclosures just plain, I have to drill all my holes for knobs, jacks, etc. You can get small ones at RadioShack, though they're a bit overpriced. I suggest going to shopping.google.com and search for "project enclosures". Seems the simplest place to start, anyway.

Best wishes,
Matt
yeah I am looking for a plain type and I plan to do all holes & whatnot, but just finding an enclosure of the proper type and dimensions is buggering me. All I've seen at radioshack are the small ones. Need something bigger, with a handle on it.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You can use any enclosure you like, as long as it is metal or solid plastic.

Then get a strap and clamp down ends from someplace like a shoe repair shop, where they fix luggage all the time. Just be sure to reinforce the mounts for the strap with a chunk of sheet metal on the inside to spread the load around.

A Shoe or Zipper Repair shop should have the strap, connections, and covers all in stock. You could also hit up fabric stores.

I don't know of any that are sold with the carry strap, it adds way too many complications to an already broad enclosure market. As long as you start with a sturdy case, you should be good to go.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
That looks like it was built in the good ole days! Take good care of it. Probably be able to drop it several times and it won't even dent.