Anybody Know what this is???

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
it's a standard LCD with Hitachi controller. If my data drive is not corrupt I could have given the data sheet. sorry

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
can anybody know what is type of serial LCD display?
if can hlp me find out data sheet .
thank you.
The display shown appears to be a parallel LCD display. If you can provide a clearer picture of the rear of the display so that the text is readable, then I believe we may be able to direct you to the manufacturer's datasheet for your display.

hgmjr

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
It looks almost like This RC1602C

But the -2 adds the extra two slim ICs on the bottom, and the connectors on the side, which may be serial enabled. The pinout is at the top of the silkscreen in white, with Vdd, Enable, etc, but only one data line, and I don't see a clock line.That white silkscreen that describes the 8 pads. Pin 1 is the lowest, GND, then Vcc then Vd then E (Enable), Followed by DATA (which is probably the serial input, but usually needs a clock line as well), 6 is CP, 7 and 8 are BL1 and BL2 (backlight/contrast?)

Where did you purchase it from that stated it was a serial LCD? They should have instructions on how to communicate with it serially. If not, it looks like it is still wired to accept standard HITACHI commands on the interface along the edge.

Looking for RC1602C-2 only gives me two japanse/chinese character set datasheets.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It looks almost like This RC1602C

But the -2 adds the extra two slim ICs on the bottom, and the connectors on the side, which may be serial enabled. The pinout is at the top of the silkscreen in white, with Vdd, Enable, etc, but only one data line, and I don't see a clock line.That white silkscreen that describes the 8 pads. Pin 1 is the lowest, GND, then Vcc then Vd then E (Enable), Followed by DATA (which is probably the serial input, but usually needs a clock line as well), 6 is CP, 7 and 8 are BL1 and BL2 (backlight/contrast?)

Where did you purchase it from that stated it was a serial LCD? They should have instructions on how to communicate with it serially. If not, it looks like it is still wired to accept standard HITACHI commands on the interface along the edge.

Looking for RC1602C-2 only gives me two japanse/chinese character set datasheets.

Man you have good eyes. What would CP be? Maybe clock pulse????

Enable actually being chip select?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Man you have good eyes. What would CP be? Maybe clock pulse????

Enable actually being chip select?
Hey, that's a nice thought.

Try sending data to it with data and CP lines. Though there is usually a way for the LCD to send data back to the uC, I'm wondering if the Enable line may have a hand in it.

I think this is the same module Parallax sold as the "Serial LCD" for the Basic Stamp a decade ago, I don't know what Parallax called it, but that could be a direction to search in.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hey, that's a nice thought.

Though there is usually a way for the LCD to send data back to the uC, I'm wondering if the Enable line may have a hand in it.
Humm good point. But I have never felt the need to read data even in the parallel version. Maybe enable high to write data, enable low to read it or visa versa. But two problems with that:

1. It would defeat you ability to have multiple devices on your SPI bus.

2. You would somehow need to switch your io pins on your mcu.

What other common serial io uses a clock and one data line?

Maybe the chips would be a hint if the OP can get some numbers on them.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
IIRC, The Basic Stamp had a SEROUT and SERIN command that could use the same pin.

The command specified the pin, the baud rate, and the data.

This is still assuming this is the same Serial LCD That was sold for the Basic Stamp by vendors.

SERIN Rpin { \Fpin }, Baudmode, { Plabel, } { Timeout, Tlabel, } [ InputData ]
Explanation
One of the most popular forms of communication between electronic
devices is serial communication. There are two major types of serial
communication; asynchronous and synchronous. The SERIN and
SEROUT commands are used to receive and send asynchronous serial
data. See the SHIFTIN and SHIFTOUT command for information on the
synchronous method.

SERIAL COMMUNICATION BACKGROUND.
--ETA: https://sites.google.com/site/parallaxinretailstores/home/2x16-serial-lcd-backlit

SerLCD has the ability to dim the backlight to retain power if necessary. There is also a potentiometer on the back of the display to adjust the contrast.