Any SSTC experts here?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi guys. Just a simple question--is there anyone here who is familiar with the operation of solid-state Tesla Coils, namely DRSSTCs? I have only built spark gap type TCs before but have wanted to build a DRSSTC for many years now. Unfortunately I can't seem to find much on their theory of operation.

Thanks,
Matt

EDIT: Okay, I guess I was doing the wrong searches. I found more on the theory of operation, but it would still be good to have someone to speak with about it.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
How about VTTC I found this one.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZIYhY6A4F4

Here's a 300 watt ....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPWecNNfVoQ

I want to do one someday.
I am actually steering away from VTTCs at this point for several reasons. One, they require large power supplies to which I do not have ready access. Two, the tubes are somewhat difficult to find, and 3, the output is far less impressive than a DRSSTC.

I found this and read up a little. I don't know if you've seen this one.

http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/documents/book_drsstcpreview.pdf

My knowledge is limited but, it might help you think outside the box.

BBL.
It's funny you should post that link, KV. I was looking at that just moments ago. It is very informative, I will probably read through it a bit more, but it does not go as in-depth as I would have liked. I appreciate the offer of help.

I suppose now that we have begun an actual discussion regarding high voltage and Tesla Coils, I should probably post this for those reading who do not fully understand what they are, how they work, and the dangers involved.

Tesla Coils involve high voltage, high current, and high energy components and circuits. Coming in contact with any of these can (and probably will) cause serious injury or even death. I have been working with high voltage for many years, which is why I am comfortable discussing this. However, if you do not have previous experience with such projects, and you still want to attempt to build one, I can't stress enough that you MUST work with someone who is experienced with high power devices. It could save your life.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Tesla Coils involve high voltage, high current, and high energy components and circuits. Coming in contact with any of these can (and probably will) cause serious injury or even death.
Any person with good sense will have a "safety man" present in case he needs to be restarted. Personally, I refuse to work on any live circuits over 40 volts unless I have a safety man present and paying attention. I have repaired thousands of machines in the last 40 years, and I still don't believe that I can't make a mistake.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Any person with good sense will have a "safety man" present in case he needs to be restarted. Personally, I refuse to work on any live circuits over 40 volts unless I have a safety man present and paying attention. I have repaired thousands of machines in the last 40 years, and I still don't believe that I can't make a mistake.
Yep, ditto. I try not to ever work on live circuits, but when I do I make sure there is someone there who knows CPR :p

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
:WINK: and would follow in order. I'm not analog am I, maybe digital. I hope I'm digital.
Analog isn't that bad, just ask Joe Walsh -

"Analog Man"

Welcome to cyberspace, I'm lost in the fog
everything's digital I'm still analog
when something goes wrong
I don't have a clue
some 10-year-old smart ass has to show me what to do
sign on with high speed you don't have to wait
sit there for days and vegetate
I access my email, read all my spam, I'm an analog man.

the whole world's living in a digital dream
it's not really there
it's all on the screen
makes me forget who I am
I'm an analog man

yeah I'm an analog man in a digital world
I'm gonna get me an analog girl
who loves me for what I am
I'm an analog man

what's wrong with vinyl, I think it sounds great
LPs, 45s, 78s but that's just the way I am
I'm an analog man

turn on the tube, watch until dawn
one hundred channels, nothing is on
endless commercials, endless commercials, endless commercials

the whole world's glued to the cable TV
it looks so real on the big LCD
murder and violence are rated PG, too bad for the children
they are what they see

the whole world's living in a digital dream
it's not really there
it's all on the screen
makes me forget who I am
I'm an analog man

I'm gonna get me an analog girl
who loves me for what I am
I'm an analog man

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I don't think that's not how it's meant.

It's respect and honor to the Inventor.

Sorry, who wouldn't?

With all respect.

kv
Thank you KV, you seem to be referring to a post I made some time ago.

You are correct, I use a picture of Nikola Tesla as my avatar to remind people what he did for the world. Most people don't know who he is, and have never even heard his name, but he contributed so much to the world of technology and deserves to be remembered! That, my friends, is why I have Tesla as my avatar.

Regards,
Matt