Any Self-Contained PWM Fan Control IC's without microchip requirements similar to MAX31740?

extrememod2020

Joined Nov 30, 2021
Hi all,

Continuing on trying to build a fully automatic high frequency PWM fan circuit with speed controlled by temperature in fully automatic manner, I found this amazing product - MAX31740 but I'm not a huge fan of TDFN packages so I'm trying to find something similar but with pins (SSOP etc).

It seems that this IC does not require any MCU to run, which is what I'm looking for but I can't find anything equivalent.

The use case:

Mini-PCB to control 12v 1A 4-pin PWM FAN (one or more). Ability to control speeds between temperatures of 50 °C and 100 °C starting the fan at 25% RPM and up to 100% when reaching max temp.

Circuit will "turn on" by thermal switch (normally open) placed on the monitored component, that activates at 50 °C. Also going to use 1 SMD potentiometer for better flexibility setting up the board and using different types of fans down the line.

I'm currently learning how to program with Arduino as well.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So what is more important to you:
  1. Implementing something that works and meets your requirements
  2. Waiting for some beneficent semiconductor company to make the chip you want.
#1 would require some effort on your part to research alternative solutions
#2 would require the outlay of huge amounts of cash to incentivize a company to do your bidding, or waiting until the cows come home.

Personally, I would go with #1 since you can quantify the time scale and better yet you can control the outcome. You pick the strategy that works for you.

extrememod2020

Joined Nov 30, 2021
So what is more important to you:
  1. Implementing something that works and meets your requirements
  2. Waiting for some beneficent semiconductor company to make the chip you want.
#1 would require some effort on your part to research alternative solutions
#2 would require the outlay of huge amounts of cash to incentivize a company to do your bidding, or waiting until the cows come home.

Personally, I would go with #1 since you can quantify the time scale and better yet you can control the outcome. You pick the strategy that works for you.
Makes sense, just wanted to check with the experts here in case anyone had any suggestions of good alternatives for this somewhat unique product.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Makes sense, just wanted to check with the experts here in case anyone had any suggestions of good alternatives for this somewhat unique product.
No problem. Once you realize that perfect is the enemy of good enough, it clarifies the mind and allows you to proceed expeditiously.

extrememod2020

Joined Nov 30, 2021
Okay guys, so I hired a professional to build this for me but with Atmega328. This is the schematic. Can anyone tell me if it's viable?

The power is taken from a car battery inside an Android Head unit.

pwm3.PNG