Any Good current sense chips

saint_jay77

Joined Oct 19, 2006
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows any good current sense chips. I need to sense currents of magnitide 2.5A to 5A. If anyone knows this please let me know. Thanks.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows any good current sense chips. I need to sense currents of magnitide 2.5A to 5A. If anyone knows this please let me know. Thanks.
Are you interested in measuring alternating current, direct current, or perhaps both?

hgmjr

saint_jay77

Joined Oct 19, 2006
I have a square wave DC PWM 24volt signal that is supposed to drive a solenoid. When the solenoid is activated the PWM has 50% duty cycle for a short period "pullin_solenoid". The measured current when it pulls in is app 2.5A. After the pull in of the solenoid is completed, the signal has a duty cycle of 14%. The current at this time is 0.5-0.75A. I would like to protect the solenoid in case there is no pwm and the solenoid is ON with pure DC current. When the solenoid is ON with no duty or steady DC it heats up!!! I intend to use a current measurent device that would measure it and turn off a switch (such as the gate of a FET) and kill supply voltage to solenoid. Hope this is enough info.
If anyone has better suggestions for control please let me know. Thanks...

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Can I ask what is the part number of the relay are you using?

What is your overall objective, as this thread seems to be a continuation of your previous threads.

Is the PWM the only 24 Volt source used?