Any future for hardware design engineers ??

itzjishnu

Joined Jun 28, 2013
This is a question apart from Technical.

I'm currently working as a board design engineer in a firm. I have 2 years of experience now .Although i like my careed , I'm bit doubtful about the future of my domain .. Seeing most of the new trends happening only in VLSI and ASICs .. FPGAs etc .. the question that comes to my mind is ... What does the future holds for BOARD DESIGN Engineers in INDIA (or anywhere) for the next 10 Years or so ? will it be an obsolete thing , by the time I reach a good experience ??

I know there are many experienced guys around here who can give clarity to me . I'm hoping for the same .

Thanks

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There is a difference between hardware design and PCB layout design.

There will always be a need for both designers in the future.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There will always be a need for both designers in the future.
I quibble only with that one word. I think it's likely that artificial intelligence will take over some of these chores in our lifetimes. Board layout before outright design. I'm likewise optimistic that my children will live to see machine-driven automobiles and a whole range of things enabled by cheap, massive computing power.

But there will still be a need for engineers that have learned and can apply the newest tools.