Another Web server MCU question!

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
Hello,

okay,

I have a PC and an MCU web server board connected to a linksys router.
I have set up my MCU web server board (LAN8720A + MCU) to a certain MAC address and a certain IP address. I have also provided my MCU the default gateway, subnet mask and dns address which were all copied from the status/local network/ page of my linksys router.

My MCU web server board has an RJ45 striaght through cable connected to the router.

At this point assuming all the aforsaid values are correct, why would I not be able to ping my MCU web server?

r

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hello,

okay,

I have a PC and an MCU web server board connected to a linksys router.
I have set up my MCU web server board (LAN8720A + MCU) to a certain MAC address and a certain IP address. I have also provided my MCU the default gateway, subnet mask and dns address which were all copied from the status/local network/ page of my linksys router.

My MCU web server board has an RJ45 striaght through cable connected to the router.

At this point assuming all the aforsaid values are correct, why would I not be able to ping my MCU web server?

r
Are you able to access the web server via http or any other protocol? Ping response is a configuration option and can be turned off.

What happens if you configure the web server as a DHCP client and allow the router to supply it the required network information? Does your router see any requests from the MAC address?

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
Hello guys,

Sorry for the delay!

>Are you able to access the web server via http or any other protocol? Ping >response is a configuration option and can be turned off.

I can't use HTTP, since I only assign an address to my MCU web server board. So I can only access the web server by doing:

'192.168.1.133'

>What happens if you configure the web server as a DHCP client and allow >the router to supply it the required network information?

At this point I am still waiting for my vendor to get back with a resolution but to answer your question the best I can I will say that I am trying their Ethernet demo, and in the demo they don't set anything in regards to DHCP... Now having said this, perhaps in their code they set this by default. Being really ignorant about networking... may I ask, would we really need to set DHCP if the web browser is *only *receiving* data from the client???

> Does your router see any requests from the MAC address?
How would I know... by pinging?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
hello BMorse,

>have you tried a cross over ethernet cable (you never know)??

Well, as a rule of thumb, when a DCE and a DTE are connected, we usually use a straight-through cable. I don't have a cross-over cable lying around so no, I never tried it.

And what's even weirder... see if you can figure this one out...

You are familiar with the two leds at the back of an ethernet jack right? Typically, on my MCU server board, there is a flashing green one and a "steady on" yellow one. Well, I have this blue RJ45 straight through T568 type B cable that when I plug in one of its end to the MCU web server board and the other end to my router, the yellow led comes on and the green one flashes quickly. This seems like normal behavior.

However, when I try any of the other RJ45 straight through T568 type B cables other than that blue one, the yellow and green leds are both on without any flashing activity on the green one ????????

And yes I tested them all for shorts and proper continuity with my VOM... This is bloody weird if you ask me!

Any ideas?

thanks for your help

regards
r

Last edited: