Another peltier project

trent

Joined Jan 11, 2008
I am also starting to create a circuit using the exact peltiers. We are trying to develop a way for people to commuicate with heat. I also have very limited electronics but I do have the peltiers in my hand and I am eager to get them working. I thought it was as simple as hooking up a battery but I read in this post about PWM circuit using a 555 timer and a power MOSFET and I am a little hesitant to just hook them up now. Any information for a beginner would be appreciated. I will continue to look back at this post and share any good info I find...trent

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Tacking your post onto an existing one is hijacking, a practice we discourage. Please always start a new post, even is the topic is the same as one under discussion.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
A Peltier device would not be a good choice for communications. They are relatively slow to respond to changes in voltage levels, and require a relatively large amount of current when compared to an ordinary incandescent bulb.

Peltier devices are best used for heating/cooling; keeping temperatures constant. Never quickly reverse the flow of current through a Peltier device, as the stress will soon destroy it.

Subjecting just about anything to rapid thermal cycles will cause failure due to metal fatigue, much like bending the tab on a soda can back and fourth too many times. The metal crystallizes, becomes weak, and separates.

You might investigate methods of exposing/covering a source of heat, such as a dimly lit lamp by using a translucent LCD panel or the like.

Infrared (IR) LED's fall into the heat spectrum; they have the advantages of being inexpensive, reliable, and readily available from many suppliers. However, it seems that you intend on using actual radiant heat.