1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) starting at 9:00 EDT for a number of hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

Another peltier project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by trent, Jan 11, 2008.

1. trent

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    I am also starting to create a circuit using the exact peltiers. We are trying to develop a way for people to commuicate with heat. I also have very limited electronics but I do have the peltiers in my hand and I am eager to get them working. I thought it was as simple as hooking up a battery but I read in this post about PWM circuit using a 555 timer and a power MOSFET and I am a little hesitant to just hook them up now. Any information for a beginner would be appreciated. I will continue to look back at this post and share any good info I find...trent

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Tacking your post onto an existing one is hijacking, a practice we discourage. Please always start a new post, even is the topic is the same as one under discussion.

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    A Peltier device would not be a good choice for communications. They are relatively slow to respond to changes in voltage levels, and require a relatively large amount of current when compared to an ordinary incandescent bulb.

Peltier devices are best used for heating/cooling; keeping temperatures constant. Never quickly reverse the flow of current through a Peltier device, as the stress will soon destroy it.

Subjecting just about anything to rapid thermal cycles will cause failure due to metal fatigue, much like bending the tab on a soda can back and fourth too many times. The metal crystallizes, becomes weak, and separates.

You might investigate methods of exposing/covering a source of heat, such as a dimly lit lamp by using a translucent LCD panel or the like.

Infrared (IR) LED's fall into the heat spectrum; they have the advantages of being inexpensive, reliable, and readily available from many suppliers. However, it seems that you intend on using actual radiant heat.