Another operation during delay

elyson

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I need to design a circuit using 8051, with 2 button and 2 LED. The circuit suppose to act this way, every time a button A is pressed, LED A will lit for 10 sec and so is when button B is pressed.

So I connected the circuit and wrote the program. But there is something I notice, if I press button A and when the program is delayed 10 sec before clearing the port for LED A, button B has no effect.

Basically I need to have those 2 button to work seperately, any idea how?

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
In one word TIMERS!
Your 8051 has several timers built-in. Use one of them to do your 10 second delay timing. This will leave the processor free to do other more useful things like checking for pressed buttons.

elyson

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Can someone give more details on the timer programing and application? Or better, can someone post a working timer program here for my exercise that works for me to study.

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
If you pressed switch A, and your program goes into a delay loop to give you the 10 sec delay, then switch B will not be polled, and therefore has no effect while the system is waiting for this 10 sec delay to complete.

The program below should give you some idea. It is not debugged, but the idea is there.

The two switches have to be polled regularly. Let the timer runs freely and overflow every 50 ms. If switch A is pressed, initialise the value of R1 to 200. Decrement R1 everytime the timer overflow. After 200 overflow (200 x 50ms = 10 s), R1 becomes zero, and the program turn off LED A. LED B is separately controlled by the value in R2.

Gee... i prefer to code in C...

MOV TMOD,#10H ; CONFIGURE TIMER 1
MOV TH1,#3CH ; ASSUME 12 MHZ CRYSTAL
MOV TL1,#B0H ; TIMER TAKES 50MS TO OVERFLOW
SETB TR1 ; START TIMER 1

POLL: ; POLL FOR THE SWITCHES
JNB P1.0,AA1 ; JUMP IF SWITCH A IS PRESSED
JNB P1.1,BB1 ; JUMP IF SWITCH B IS PRESSED

POLL2:
JNB TF1,POLL ; TIMER NOT OVERFLOW YET, CONTINUE TO POLL
CLR TF1
MOV TH1,#3CH