Another newbie question...

Tifa

Joined Nov 5, 2009
Hi...just found the forum...it looks great!

I'm not that proficient with electonics but with a little help, hope to learn more. (I guess we all have to start somewhere.. eh? :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I have a pcb problem...
I have an Itallian (don't laugh!) motorcycle...the clocks/display use a can bus system, similar to many modern day cars.

Unfortunately, the pcb inside is very susceptible to moisture, mainly condensation...causing intermittent shorts.

When the ambient air/clocks temperature stabilises, and dries out naturally...then all is well again.

I have aready vented the pcb clocks enclosure with goretex membrane vents (these allow the free flow of air...but won't allow water to ingress)

I'm now thinking of coating the pcb with an epoxy resin or laquer to make it more "waterproof" and reduce the chances of shorting.

Can you recommended any coatings or waterproofing agents that I could apply to the pcb (both sides) to help fix this please?
I've ruled out temp epoxys because there are several plastic components on the board that are unremovable, and likely to melt

Am I right in thinking Silicone is a no-no due to the chances of the curing acid damage it might caiuse?

Any help here would be great chaps....

Oh yeah....sorry my first post is so long ;)

Tifa

Tifa

Joined Nov 5, 2009
Thanks for that Sgt...that's more or less what I'm looking for.

I'm still at a bit of a loss as to which coating to use.:rolleyes:

I think a laquer might work, but I'm unsure if the laquer base will melt or soften some of the plastics. In particular, there is a soldered multi ribbon wire (sorry, don't know what it's proper name is!) that connects the pcb to the lcd readout, I have a feeling that it will not withstand some solvents...

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
I've had good success with the Envirotex Polymer 2 part coatings. Not too expensive and available in ounce quantities. Mix 1:1, pour it on asbly. and hang up to dry for 24 hrs. Won't harm plastic components.

Cheers, DPW