Animal pest repeller

prv8eye

Joined May 5, 2009
I found this old post on another forum
<<a 38 KHz ultrasonic "BEEP", which humans cannot hear, using a signal generator and a piezo horn speaker,>>

Can someone tell me, in layman's terms, how to build one of these?
Would it be expensive? Is this stuff I can pick up at Radio Shack?

You can buy these off-the-shelf for much less than it would cost to make one. Either way, they don't seem to work too well with mice in my experience.

Some models sweep the frequency of the ultrasonic signal, others beep at a fixed pitch.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Who says that animals are repelled by ultrasonic sounds?
Who says that a cheap garbage piezo horn speaker (used for old guitar bands) has any output at 38kHz?

I calculated that with high input power the sound level of a piezo speaker at a reasonable distance will be very low.

Attachments

prv8eye

Joined May 5, 2009
You can buy these off-the-shelf for much less than it would cost to make one. Either way, they don't seem to work too well with mice in my experience.

Some models sweep the frequency of the ultrasonic signal, others beep at a fixed pitch.
Not for mice.
A guy posted on another forum that he had GREAT results with this in getting a rooster to stop crowing.
I want to set it up so I can operate it by a push button whenever the neighbor's damn bird lets loose.
Unfortunately the post was a year old and I was unable to contact the author.
He said it was inaudible to humans but worked very well to silence the bird.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Not sure how smart birds are, but suspect that he hears an unfamiliar sound, and plays it safe. Doesn't want to broadcast his location to a potential predator. Might work for a while, but since there is no real threat associated with the sound, he'll eventually ignore it, just like all the other man-made sounds he's gotten use to over the years.

Haven't seen piezo beepers with that high a frequency. Hope you are fairly close to the bird, wouldn't expect much range. Could probably throw it at the bird, with greater effect...