Android pass/fail vision inspection

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Anyone seen anything out there to do pass/fail inspection of parts using an Android tablet and its built in camera?
Just looking for something with simple edge detection or similar and the ability to "remember" a "good" sample and alert on a "bad" sample.

I would have thought some geek would have written that already. :p

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
generally i find when doing test /inspection a good pair of these work quite well most of the time.....
Sadly thats what I thought too.. But somehow, on a daily basis, blatantly obvious mistakes make it through 2 assemblers, 2 test station operators and all the way to the shipping guy (my brother). Luckily my brother is "Captain Eagle Eye".. Nothing gets past him thank god.. But I'm hoping some simple vision inspection program can take some of the burden off him and stop issues before they get that far down the line. The further a mistake makes it, the more it costs us to fix it.

All assemblers have Android tablets on their stations for the "work/assembly instructions" and having them simply pass the part under the camera and letting it inspect would be the way to go.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Where I worked, Delphi Packard Electric, they had a system called Vision. It was on all of the terminal make presses. It could sense up to 6 different areas of an electrical terminal while it was being made. At the speed of 1300 parts per minute, always amazed me how it did it.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Where I worked, Delphi Packard Electric, they had a system called Vision. It was on all of the terminal make presses. It could sense up to 6 different areas of an electrical terminal while it was being made. At the speed of 1300 parts per minute, always amazed me how it did it.
Yeah I've been looking at integrated vision sensors from Cognex and Banner now. Amazing what they can do.. But its really a bit more than I need.

I'm really surprised some "geek" (like myself) hasn't make a nice package of Android and OpenCV.. Found plenty of demos,etc.. just nothing finalized yet which I wasn't expecting now-a-days.. There is very little that hasn't been ported to android now.