And so it begins. Fish getting sick at BP oil spill.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/two-years-later-fish-sick-140236899.html
I knew it was just a matter of time. In the 80's I lived next to a saltwater pond with little water flow so it was deemed polluted. Not fenced up polluted, but don't eat fish, swim, or do anything like that. Anyways we would catch fish all the time with similar lesions, cuts, sores, and then parasites would invade because the fish were so sick and weak.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
from that article:

1. it presents no danger to humans
2. no studies no fish health in that location were done prior to the spill

conclusion: BP is home free, especially since nothing has been done about it in the last two years...

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Oh yah they paid for final edit on any scientific papers. Thats why you only read peaches and cream when it comes to the BP oil spill. But you don't have to be a marine biologist to realize you shouldn't be catching fish in those numbers with parasites and lesions. I've lived on the gulf my whole life and you only see that stuff up in the brackish waters up river, and canals and ponds with not enough water flow so they end up polluted. I have first hand experience with this because we protested for 20 years to have them dredge the canals to get water flow to the pond. Finally when the rich people moved into the neighborhood it got done. Now its a clean saltwater pond. No fish sickness at all. We also had a similar problem in the bay and they found it was industry standard to dump old car batteries at the post's. So they spent 2 years recovering them and the fish bounced back. This was mid early 80's though back when we used to catch big bull reds each year. They don't come here anymore because of climate change.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yeh, but who really believes in climate change? It's all a scam to tax the consumer for burning carbon fuel. Then what about this human anthropogenic crap. There's nothing we can do about climate change. We're not the cause. Blame it all on BP and the money greedy oil companies. They're the ones who are polluting the environment. Not me. I just need some gas for my car so I can get to work to make a living. 'nuff said.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
polar bears are struggling, loss of habitat and changes in diet. Also Alaskan Stellar Sea Lions - herring is a keystone species there and is at low levels. there are different suggestions as to why, including blaming humpback whales...

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
The ring seal must birth on land (ice), and any reduction of ice during birthing brings them into higher and higher concentrations. Saw a video a few weeks back were both bears and seals were doing what they needed, and the result was a blood soaked scene as far as one could see.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The Earths CLIMATE has become colder(ice-age) and warmer, repeatedly throughout history.

We only began using "fossil" fuels a little over 200 hundred years ago.

If the Earth has had cooling and warming cycles long before humans even existed, how can anyone believe that WE are the cause of climate change?

The TRUE source of heating for the entire group of planets in our vicinity is THE SUN.

Oil is bad for those unfortunate living things that encounter it on a beach or at the bottom of the sea. Yet, these fish(and other things) are mostly only sick, not all dead. Which means they can reproduce and their offspring will reproduce, and eventually the oil will be broken down and life will return to normal.

Life has that strange ability to mutate and evolve and otherwise struggle to adapt to stresses found in natural disasters. Without such forces to drive life to evolve and change WE HUMANS would not exist. We owe our existence to the repeated exposure of this planets lifeforms to deadly, killing forces.

If it weren't for this Planets bad luck with its environment, we would not be here to debate any of this.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Oil is bad for those unfortunate living things that encounter it on a beach or at the bottom of the sea. Yet, these fish(and other things) are mostly only sick, not all dead. Which means they can reproduce and their offspring will reproduce, and eventually the oil will be broken down and life will return to normal.
You are sick. When you and your offsprings are going to be the ones to suffer through this fate you will have a different opinion.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thanks for the well wishes and may you and yours be the same.

Without realizing or wanting to admit it, we are already along the way showing the effects of DDT, BPA, GMO, Sucralose and lead, just to name a few.

We are all in this boiling frog experiment.

Whew! It's getting warm in here. I'm feeling the heat already!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I know this subject is near and dear to many people, but any statement that begins with "You are" is likely ad hominem, and there for not appropriate here.

Lighten up, it is possible to disagree and keep it civil.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I was commenting on the person who said:
Yet, these fish(and other things) are mostly only sick, not all dead.
These are my fellow creatures he is referring to. We are all part of the circle of life.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Perhaps, but it does not change the message.

One was an opinion, the other personal. Keep personalities out of it. You are not going to get everyone to agree with your opinions, but it is good to state your opinions and the facts behind them. This is how you change other peoples opinions. If they can not be convinced, that is OK too.

Again, it is possible to disagree with someone totally and not be personal. It can be hard, be we insist (by we, I mean myself, the other moderators, and the administrators).

For what it is worth I am not even a little happy with BP. They have done too little, too late, and have not offered real recompense (but then, how can you make up for damage they can not repair). I still feel they could do more, and should.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Without realizing or wanting to admit it, we are already along the way showing the effects of DDT, BPA, GMO, Sucralose and lead, just to name a few.

We are all in this boiling frog experiment.
Yet today in the US a persons life expectancy is much longer than just one hundred years ago.

Pollution is a problem, but not the HUGE problem I am constantly being told it is. Here in Houston, twenty or thirty years ago, all you could smell was the petrochemical industries out gassings. Now you can't tell they even exist by the smell or haze in the air. Things ARE getting better in small steps, despite the occasional 'spill' here and there.

Oil will be with us for many many more years. We can only hope that the small increments of environmental impact improvement continue.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Of course, people living in Texas, USA and Alberta, Canada have their own reasons for denying peak oil and climate change.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
warming is only one aspect, deforestation, pollution etc are all too real. we live in time where entire species are eradicated fastest than ever. rate of extinction is estimated to be worse than what asteroids, ice age or volcanoes ever mastered.

unfortunately humans have done and continue to cause great damage to what is still left of eco-system on this planet. if it continues this way (and there is little hope for any other way) one day it will be too late and there will be no return. the sooner that happens, the sooner our demise can begin. the sooner we are gone, the sooner the other living thing will have sigh of relief and get to say "finally...".

Last edited: