And circuit to boost current of usb of pc for fast mobile charging

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If the PC USB is capable of supplying a maximum of, say, 1A at 5V, that is 5W. There is no way to extract more than 5W from that USB. You could increase the current but the voltage would be reduced in proportion, perhaps 2A at 2.5V (there would also be some losses in doing this so you would actually end up with less than 5W).

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I think this the easiest way but this is not thethe answer of my question technically
Well, technically, the USB on a PC is not designed to supply a lot of current. In fact, there is usually protection for over current.
I suppose you could hack your motherboard to overcome this, but that would be quite foolish in my opinion. There is no external addon that can get more power out of the USB port than it can supply. So, unless you are prepared to most likely damage your PC, get a charger.
You could make a charger that ran off the PC's 5V supply, but that is not using the PC's USB.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Can't we use boost converter for thisthis purpose?
No.
You are trying to "boost" the power. A boost converter can boost the voltage but the current goes down. In fact, they will loose a bit of power so power out is less than power in.
Power = Voltage x Current.
For example, a power supply of 5Volts and 1Amp = 5 Watts.
A 10V boost converter on this supply will give an output of 1/2 Amp (500mA).
10Volts x 500mA = 5 Watts.
In reality, this supply may only deliver 400mA as there are losses in the circuit.

And the USB ports are limited in the current they can supply, and the voltage is fixed at a nominal 5V.
If you could increase the current to 2 Amps, the internal current limiting circuitry will cut in, reducing the voltage. Otherwise, there would be a good risk of smoke.
Most PC USB ports have current monitoring and a re-settable fuse so unplugging the offending device will be required to reset the port.

If you can come up with a power boosting circuit you will solve the power problems of the world, as well as defying the laws of physics ;)
I want one!!!!

Last edited:

mirzanauman

Joined Sep 5, 2018
Haha, your answer is quite admissible. Actually I'm not doing anything like that it was just my concept Thanks for your precious time dear.