Analog Mux Design Issue

samiurrehman

Joined Sep 22, 2012
Dear reader,

I have been designing neural front end architecture for collecting multiple channel neural data. Each channel/electrode is connected to a preamplifier stage for signal amplification. The outputs from the preampifiers are to be multiplexed. I am stuck with the design of analog multiplexer. Does an 8 to 1 multiplxer involves 8 transmission gates switches with outputs connected together? Any explanations or links?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I have been designing neural front end architecture for collecting multiple channel neural data. Each channel/electrode is connected to a preamplifier stage for signal amplification. The outputs from the preampifiers are to be multiplexed. I am stuck with the design of analog multiplexer. Does an 8 to 1 multiplxer involves 8 transmission gates switches with outputs connected together? Any explanations or links?
Yes, an 8:1 mux does have 8 transmission gates with one side connected together. The transmission gates are bidirectional and either side can be used as an input or output (multiplexer or de-multiplexer).