Analog Keyboard Circuit

rac1

Joined Apr 8, 2012
Hi
I searched for keyboard circuits but didnt find anything which i want to do.

I want to do a circuit that only sends to the computer "a" button.(It can be any other buttons)
How can i do that?
I dont have any idea about it. I think , if i bought a new keyboard and if i open that keyboard,I can see what there is inside it, but I dont want to kill a keyboard.
Help please.

Any idea or any circuit will make me happy.

Thanks
Rac

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Most keyboards send serial data to the computer. What kind of computer, how many keys, etc. do you want. There is a way to use various voltage levels to represent various keys, if that is what you are looking for, but the more keys, the more complicated.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
The Teensy 2.0 for $16.00 will do exactly what you want.

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

You can download a keyboard program from the web site that can be loaded into the Teensy with the Adrino software also available on the site. It will plug into a USB port and you can set up switches on the input to simulate any key on a keyboard. It's all explained on the web site if you look around a bit.

I'm am not affiliated with PJRC other than using the Teensy for a couple business projects.

gootee

Joined Apr 24, 2007
Hi
I searched for keyboard circuits but didnt find anything which i want to do.

I want to do a circuit that only sends to the computer "a" button.(It can be any other buttons)
How can i do that?
I dont have any idea about it. I think , if i bought a new keyboard and if i open that keyboard,I can see what there is inside it, but I dont want to kill a keyboard.
Help please.

Any idea or any circuit will make me happy.

Thanks
Rac
You wouldn't need to open the keyboard itself just to see what goes through its connector when a key is pressed. You would only need to access the connections to the computer, maybe with a special adapter you could make that has external connections, and then use some other port or computer or test equipment to observe the signals. But it would probably be easier to look it up, on line, somewhere, perhaps in the source code for a keyboard driver.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
We can keep guessing as to what the OP really needs and until he answers some basic questions I don't think he will get much meaningful help. Title of the thread is ANALOG KEYBOARD CIRCUIT so until that is clarified along with what exactly does "a" mean we are all in the dark.

gootee

Joined Apr 24, 2007
My guess is that he wants a circuit that, when connected in place of a keyboard and activated, does the same thing a keybaord would do if the "a" key were pressed.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The basic idea of all keyboards is the SPST switch. It is either open or closed. If a collection of switches is arranged in a two dimensional array of `m' rows by `n' columns you can decode "switch closures" by enabling a row and checking for closed switches. If there are "closed switches", then you hold in that state until all the switch(s) are released. If not you move onto the next row. When you finish with the last row you move back around to the first row.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
The basic idea of all keyboards is the SPST switch. It is either open or closed. If a collection of switches is arranged in a two dimensional array of `m' rows by `n' columns you can decode "switch closures" by enabling a row and checking for closed switches. If there are "closed switches", then you hold in that state until all the switch(s) are released. If not you move onto the next row. When you finish with the last row you move back around to the first row.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
That sounds digital to me. OP wants ANALOG.