Analog input to PIC16F877

Reshma

Joined Mar 11, 2007
I have to give an analog light input to the ADC port of PIC16F877. I am wondering how do I connect the photo transistors. If the collector is pulled high and the emitter is grounded and the collector is connected to the port AN0 I will get a LOW signal as collector output whenever light shines on the Base. If I pull-down the resistor the output at the collector will be HIGH when light shines. I want to take to digital output of the photo transistor inputs. I think the latter connection is suitable...but will the pin overload?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you are only in the ON and OFF state, using an ADC is not necessary. Configure a pin for input and just read it as a logic HIGH or LOW input.

Reshma

Joined Mar 11, 2007
OK, thanks! I figured out the problem. I want find the 8-bit digital output that I can get out of a PIC if I vary the light intensity on the phototransistor. I am making use of 2 phototransistors and I want to compare the intensity of light incident on both of them. I am working out a program on PIC for this. I just want to know if the phototransistor can give a varying analog outputs if I change the light intensity. I tested my transistor output levels on a voltmeter...I do get a variation if I increase/decrease the intensity but will the ADC module in the PIC be sensitive enough to detect the variations?

sukumaar

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Hi,

what is the voltage output from phototransistor ?
Did you configure the ADC registers correctly?
PIC will sense analog voltages excellently but try to amplify voltage if the sensor output is in mV.

Regards,
Sukumar

Reshma

Joined Mar 11, 2007
Hi,

what is the voltage output from phototransistor ?
Did you configure the ADC registers correctly?
PIC will sense analog voltages excellently but try to amplify voltage if the sensor output is in mV.

Regards,
Sukumar
The voltage output of the phototransistor is 0-5V. Yes, I have configured the PIC ADC module correctly. I had even tested my program first by connecting a 10kohm potentiometer and the PIC gives the correct digital output.

hello, i was wondering if you could help me because i have a PIC 16F877A MCU and I want to input voice from a microphone input to the ADC of the PIC. is it possible? and how can I do it?

by now what i have tried is to connect the speaker output of my laptop to 1 ADC pin (PORTA0) of this PIC. and I placed the output to PORTD 8bits I was able to produce an output that varies with respect to the signal but i am only having slight variations like this output: 248 - 255 or in binary 00000000 to 11110000

ahm.. actually i am having an output of 5V when the laptop's wpeaker output is not connected. and when i connect it the output varies to around 4.50V to 5V. do i need to implement other circuits first for the sound input before i connect it to the PIC's analog input pin? and when i pause the music that i am playing the output reads 4.99V or mostly 5V

this is my program

#include<16F877A.h>
#device adc=10
#fuses HS,NOWDT,NOPROTECT,NOLVP
#use delay (clock=20000000)
#use rs232 (baud=9600, xmit=PIN_C6, rcv=PIN_C7)

void main()
{

float sample;

//setup the ic ports in preparation for adc
setup_port_a(ALL_ANALOG);
setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL);
set_adc_channel(0);

printf("Sampling");

//place the sampling syntax inside this do-while loop to enable continuous sampling.
do
{
delay_ms(100);
sample=Read_ADC();
printf("\n\n Measured Value: %1.2f: ",sample);
}while(TRUE);

}

the output is from 1020 to 1023. it only produces this output when there is a sound input comming from the attached laptop(via speajer jack)

the output is steady 1023 when i dont apply sound to port a0 or when the volume of the laptop is set to zero

help people. thankz

Last edited: