Analog/digital tv signal questions

Mforlini

Joined Jul 14, 2013
This is just a question out of security. I have a smart tv, that used to not get normal cable tv. Now it has the ant/cable in slot. I made a make shift antenna for it by using a busted cord. Now the connector to the tv was fine but one end looked like it had been cut off. I cut it down a lil bit and stripped it so the copper wire in the center is exsposed. I have plugged it into the tv and now it receives lots of channels. BUT I can't help but wonder, is this bad for the tv or will it be alright? If ANYONE has any info on this issue it would be greatly appriciated.

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
it won't hurt the tv as far as electrically... but you can damage the coax port on the tv if you just jam random wire in there (like if its too big).

Mforlini

Joined Jul 14, 2013
There's one end that was ok. I think I said that but, no the coax cable hook up is fine. Connected it just like you would a normal tv cable. But I am still worried lol mind you this is only a temp patch for the digital signal. I will definitely be going to get a real cable as soon as I can.:) thanks guys if you don't mind though what would be the best ant/coax hook up for receiving digital channels without playin magyver lol?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The antenna depends on where you live. Dual head with a 10 Yagi for Tampa Bay area, log periodic for Orange County California, 4 bay bow tie for Pierceton Indiana, give up and get a satellite dish in the hills of Kentucky.

I think RG-6 Quadshield is the latest "right" coax.

Last edited:

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
The antenna depends on where you live. Dual head with a 10 Yagi for Tampa Bay area, log periodic for Orange County California, 4 bay bow tie for Pierceton Indiana, give up and get a satellite dish in the hills of Kentucky.

I think RG-6 Quadshield is the latest "right" coax.
There's a reason why almost nobody uses quad shield coax though- it just doesn't matter. Coax is inherently the best possible cable for transferring signal with minimal loss and interference, and to add extra shielding just doesn't do much. This is notes from cable manufacturers themselves, and also technicians who test their cables in the field.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
RG-6 was what the cable companies were installing, pole to pole, and I found a scrapped drum with a few hundred feet left on it. Under those conditions, it's right for me.:)

If you accidentally find a few hundred feet of RG-59 or RG-58, and the correct connectors, go ahead and use it.

(I hope I remembered those numbers correctly.)

and, no, I haven't worked Pittsburgh.

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
RG-6 was what the cable companies were installing, pole to pole, and I found a scrapped drum with a few hundred feet left on it. Under those conditions, it's right for me.:)

That's right! :) As long as it didnt get wet on the ends... even if it did just cut a few feet off. The water can oxidize the cable and reduce performance, but it doesnt really travel all the way up the cable unless you leave it outside for months.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
That's right! :) As long as it didnt get wet on the ends... even if it did just cut a few feet off. The water can oxidize the cable and reduce performance, but it doesnt really travel all the way up the cable unless you leave it outside for months.
Co-ax used by our local time-warner provider, has some kind of silicone swill impregnated in it, and water has no chance of capillary damage.

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
Co-ax used by our local time-warner provider, has some kind of silicone swill impregnated in it, and water has no chance of capillary damage.
ickypick!! that stuff is so much fun to work with! *major sarcasm* but it does do the job.

around here, charter doesn't use that. just plain old thinly wrapped coax... with some decent terminals on the ends to keep the water out. its really all you need..

Mforlini

Joined Jul 14, 2013
ok well thanks then guys I'll try and take some pics and put them up here for you guys to see what I'm actually talking about but I think I should be alright. If anything happens yins will be the first to know.