amplify laptop speakers

kdeff

Joined Dec 5, 2010
Hi

im trying to amplify my laptops speakers, possibly replace the speakers with more powerful ones.

WOuld it be possible to use a single IC chip to do this? if so what would be a good one?

thanks

Raman

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi

im trying to amplify my laptops speakers, possibly replace the speakers with more powerful ones.

WOuld it be possible to use a single IC chip to do this? if so what would be a good one?

thanks

Raman
Read about the LM386.

kdeff

Joined Dec 5, 2010
Read about the LM386.
Hi,

Ive been reading about that chip. but theres one thing I cant understand, how do I figure out what circuitry to put around the chip, or is the chip alone enough to apmlify speakers?

Ive seen it hooked up both ways, alone and with other circuitry around it.

thanks

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You will need an LM386 for each channel.

The reason your laptop speakers aren't very loud is due to the size of them. On a Dell, the speakers are about 3/4" x 1/2", about 1/2" deep. There simply isn't room to fit "big sound" into a compact notebook. Larger notebooks do sound decent even with small speakers, but not micro sized speakers.

Get some external powered speakers and plug them in the notebook's line out jack. This would be cheaper than building your own, and usually sound better than your first project.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
+1 "thatoneguy". Sometimes you can get even $10 - $15 laptop speakers that will sound better than the laptops speakers, but doubling that price and you can get some really decent sound.

iONic

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Here is a set of HP USB Powered speakers for notebooks. No extra power supply to worry about, plug into line out jack on notebook (3.5mm jack, often green), and another into USB for power.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An LM386 amplifier has an output at clipping into an 8 ohm speaker of only 0.45W when it has a 9V supply. About the same puny power as a laptop's amplifier.

My computer speakers have an amplifier with 3.5W each.