Amplify 1volt dc to 12volts dc

geryjuhasz

Joined Jun 13, 2012
Hi.I`m new here an to Electronics too.I`d like to build a windmill that will give me betveen 1 and 3 volts dc, and i`d like to amplifiy it to provide 12volts.Is that possible?
Thanks in advance.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hi.I`m new here an to Electronics too.I`d like to build a windmill that will give me betveen 1 and 3 volts dc, and i`d like to amplifiy it to provide 12volts.Is that possible?
Thanks in advance.
To have 12VDC from DC may be done by Dc converter but it will be complicated but if it was AC then you can use Transformer or Voltage multipliers.
as the voltage level 1-3V is very less so, the current must be more so, to have application of it!!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If your generator is making pulsing DC, the simple solution might be to use a wall wart transformer "backwards". If you've got a transformer meant to reduce 120vAC to 12vAC, for instance, putting 2v on the secondary should give you 20vAC on the primary. Transformers aren't terrible at power transfer - you might get 80% power efficiency or better. You'll lose 10-20% when you rectify to DC (due to voltage drop across the diodes) and still more voltage drop and efficiency loss if you regulate the voltage.
One problem you'll have is impedance matching. The wall-wart secondary will have a very low impedance and your generator may not have enough power to drive the voltage across it. It'll look like a short to a small generator. A smaller, audio impedance matching transformer might be a better option.

What do you want to power at 12V? You may be disappointed with how little power your windmill makes, compared to the power required by your load.

Last edited:

geryjuhasz

Joined Jun 13, 2012
It`s just an experimental question.I`d like to see if it is plausible to use that electricity.For instance I`d be really happy if it would power a lightbulb or something similiar.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...I'd be really happy if it would power a lightbulb or something similiar.
Use an LED, as in that project. You won't need 12V. In fact you could feed one of those solar light boost circuits, just put your windmill in place of the solar panel. (You may need to remove the CdS detector.) This little circuit will boost your voltage from 1-2V up to 3-4V or so, and that's plenty to light an LED.