Amplifier Sound Switcher

fridgedesign

Joined Aug 16, 2011
Hi

I'm going to try and explain myself the best I can.

Here is the sound system layout.
http://www.pubmontfort.com/soundsystem.jpg

What I want is to have the option of the 'HD TV' sound playing on the 'INSIDE SPEAKERS' and the 'MINI MAC' sound playing on the 'OUTSIDE SPEAKERS'.

We play sport in the Pub sometimes but have a terrace so want the option of splitting the sound.

Is there some kind of switch that can switch the input to the 'OUTSIDE' amp?

Any ideas would be great...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Many higher-end but still affordable AV receivers have the option to send different signals to different "zones". This would be a much cleaner solution than, say, running cables to and from some DIY switchbox. But of course you can build such a thing, assuming you're using analog signals. Just be sure it's shielded.

I assume you mean Mac mini (small computer often used in home theaters) and not mini Mac (brand of my chainsaw).

fridgedesign

Joined Aug 16, 2011
YES, sorry I meant a Mac Mini... excuse my mistake...

The system i'm running isn't a home system, its in a bar. At the moment the sound system is completely in one. The mixer output goes to a range of 'crossovers' and then to all amps. I have 4 x amps supplying the 'INDOOR SPEAKERS' and 1 x amp supplying the 'OUTDOOR SPEAKERS'. When we have live sports will still want music to be played on the 'OUTDOOR SPEAKERS'.

Because the mixer only has one output and that controls the direction of sound. How could I have a switch or use a receiver in that way?

Would the option be to split the 'MAC MINI' RCA output (double end the cable so one is in the mixer and one is loose) and then split the input to the 'OUTDOOR SPEAKER' amp adding an RCA cable? Thus when we make the change I connect the 'MAC MINI' output to the new input for the ''OUTDOOR SPEAKERS' bypassing the mixer???

I hope that made sense....

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This is too simple. A wire is a wire and a switch is a switch. Almost any wire will carry music to a speaker and almost any switch will switch it on and off. I fail to see the problem. Just get a switch and wire it up so the input to the outdoor amplifier is not connected to the mixer when the MAC is driving it. Single pole, double throw if it's only one channel of music, double pole, double throw if it's stereo.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This is too simple. A wire is a wire and a switch is a switch. Almost any wire will carry music to a speaker and almost any switch will switch it on and off. I fail to see the problem. Just get a switch and wire it up so the input to the outdoor amplifier is not connected to the mixer when the MAC is driving it. Single pole, double throw if it's only one channel of music, double pole, double throw if it's stereo.
So if you did nothing, the HDTV sound you want inside would also be outside, where instead you want music (from the Mac)? Then yes, I agree with #12 that all you need is a Y-with-a-switch (two inputs from two sources, a selector switch, one out to amp) on the input to the outdoor amp, so that you can select the Mac instead of the normal feed from the mixer. Since you're dealing with a line signal, I still recommend the shielding. In other words mount your switch in a metal box instead of plastic, and use the box as a common ground for all signal paths.