Amplifier circuit for an infrared detector?

geniusgoalie

Joined Jul 10, 2006
I'm working on a volunteer project at a local college, and I may need to do work on a 'amplifier circuit for an infrared detector'. Can anyone give me a description of what this exactly does? Also, is there a schematic or the like out there for one?

Thanks!

EDIT: What I really don't understand is how the amplifier circuit is related to the infared detector- I thought it would only work with sound? As you can tell, my understanding is superficial.

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
You can amplify any varying electrical signal. An IR detector is usually a semiconductor doped to be sensitive to IR, there are a variety of them.

You'll need to provide details of what you want this amplified signal to do.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
geniusgoalie said:
I'm working on a volunteer project at a local college, and I may need to do work on a 'amplifier circuit for an infrared detector'. Can anyone give me a description of what this exactly does? Also, is there a schematic or the like out there for one?

Thanks!

EDIT: What I really don't understand is how the amplifier circuit is related to the infared detector- I thought it would only work with sound? As you can tell, my understanding is superficial.
Here is a link to an example of a basic infrared receiver/amplifier. It is located on Dave Johnson's website www.discovercircuits.com.

http://circuitos.cl.tripod.com/schem/r53.gif

There are a number of additional infrared circuits on this website that you may want to examine.

hgmjr

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
since the voltages gen by ir sensor a quite low we amplify them using amplifiers
like opamp.
the principle is also used to detect %of gases in a mix since diff gases absorb
diff freq ir.