amplification of a bluetooth signal.

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
i found out recently that i can use my cellphone to remote control media player and stuff on my pc ... using my cellphone bluetooth and a usb-bluetooth interface connected to my pc (using software : IVT corporation blue soleil)

sadly enough because the bluetooth-pendrive is facing the wall behind the tower , i get only a 2 metre renge until i lose the connection between my cell and the pc , which makes it quite useless in a a 10mx9m room

even with the cellphone sitting on my tower my pc gets 3 out of 5 reception bars .....

is there a way to amplify a bluetooth signal?

even if its a project (some sort of router i can make) , i dont mind doing those :D

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
According to the program

The pndrive is uzing universal compatible usb connection up to 2.1version

my cellphone is using the 2.0

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Build a corner reflector. Easy, cheap, and you don't need anything more than a cardboard box and some aluminum foil.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google: "Corner reflector"

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
The simplest approach is to get a better USB Bluetooth adapter.

There are two classes of bluetooth module, one with nominally 10M range and the other with 100M Range.

(I have Belkin K7S F8T017 Class 1 Bluetooth 2.1 adapters on all my machines, one of these works to my bluetooth stereo headphones for 30ft through two brick walls).

Another simple method is to get a USB extension cable (A plug to A socket) and try moving the module to a better location.

Amplification is not simple, but a better antenna will give gain on both transmit and receive.

Assuming it's not a micro-side device, if you remove the case from the bluetooth module, you should find a zig zag circuit track antenna in the end.

You can break the PCB track coming out of the electronics to this (flush with the end of the ground plane area) and connect a WiFi antenna to it.
- Both Bluetooth and WiFi share the same 2.4GHz band.

You could use a laptop style, or fit a pigtail adapter with a socket to take a Access point / router antenna. Cut whatever original connector off the coax cable and solder directly to the cut track (and screen to ground plane) in the bluetooth module.
Keep the separated parts of the connections as short as possible, like 3mm or less.