Ambiguous diagram and wires!

freegoodkharma

Joined Dec 25, 2008
Dear myElectrical Community

Perhaps you can help out some foolish old men. We have tried to find out the information that we need from the resources that we can find. We have contacted the manufacture and the seller no response. My friend tried to ask the professionals available to him and they had different reasons that they could not help HAVAC man says cannot replace one speed blower with 3 speed blower. Connectors are not the same and says that they cannot be modified Electrician says that the blower may not be up to code. My friend became unsure of my abilities to correctly connect the motor when I was not familiar with this type of motor diagram whether the diagram should read from the left to right on the right side of the diagram and from right to left on the right side of the diagram. Whether the yellow on the diagram indicated the green and yellow striped wire with a grounding type of connector or the lime green wire coming from the motor to the common connector? Is there a way to make this work with some confidence given this information? He says that he must make this work.
I am familiar with this NEMA type of diagram.

This http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ies%26_fvi%3D1. The seller states that it is a discontinued Fanstech Model #FS151N0000 CFM: 300 Motor: 115V,60Hz, 0.88Amp-100Watt, 850RPM, Thermally protected overload. cULus recognized and RoHS compliant. With this wiring diagram!

This is what the wires coming out of the motor look like

Is this motor a single speed 230 volt or 115 volt? Or Is it a 3 speed 230 volt or 115 volt.
Does the letter C represent common and would that indicate a 230 volt motor. Do H, M and L represent high medium and low?
Coming out of the motor the leads for ground are actually yellow and green and the connector has a lime green wire.
Does the yellow on the diagram indicate the yellow and green striped wire coming from the motor to a grounding type of connector, or it the lime green wire coming from the motor to the connector?

Which has led to some confusion?

Can you tell me how to correctly wire this motor to the line ground, and 115 volt line coming from the relay block?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Larker Hautmar

Attachments

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
If one looks at the appropriate photo in the eBay listing, one can read the markings on the motor. They are in line with the seller's description.

The motor is three speed. Neutral goes to "N" and Hot goes to either "H," "M," or "L," depending on desired speed.

"C" means "capacitor." Connect the red and orange wires to the start capacitor.

My eyesight is not good enough to pick out the details on the little photo of the connector.

PIC_User

Joined Sep 22, 2008
Hi Larker,

If you are located in north america (us);

>Is this motor a single speed 230 volt or 115 volt?
>Or Is it a 3 speed 230 volt or 115 volt.
The eBAY auction states: 115V, 60Hz, Model #FS151N0000...
...Power: 115V 60Hz 100W ...
...with run capacitor...

>Does the letter C represent common and would that indicate a 230 volt motor.
The “C” in the diagram is an 8 microfarad / 450 V a.c. run capacitor (eBay ad says included)

>Do H, M and L represent high medium and low?
Yes High, Medium, Low motor speed.

>Coming out of the motor the leads for ground are actually yellow and green and the connector has a lime green wire.
Ground leads are generally green or green / yellow stripe...

>Does the yellow on the diagram indicate the yellow and green striped wire coming from the motor
>to a grounding type of connector, or it the lime green wire coming from the motor to the connector?
Connect E “earth” ground (should be green or green / yellow stripe) to ground connection.

>Can you tell me how to correctly wire this motor to the line ground, and 115 volt line coming from the relay block?
You will want to connect the motor between the line neutral and the 115 volt line switched by the relay block.

Looks like:
The “C” in the diagram is an 8 microfarad / 450 V a.c. run capacitor (eBay ad says included)
rd = Red = one side of capacitor
or = Orange = other side of capacitor

wh = White = neutral side of power = white on existing wiring if original is 110 – 120 V a.c.
bk = Black = line side of power = black on existing wiring if original is 110 – 120 V a.c.
This (bk) is generally the switched wire = on / off of blower

bu = Blue = not connected in your use = Medium speed
ye = Yellow = not connected in your use = Low speed
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6127&stc=1&d=1230308425

This is my best guess. There has to be someone nearby that knows this type of thing. Try to think of the guy that knows how to do things in the group. Get him to check this out.

-Adam-

Attachments

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
According to the part number, it seems to be 115 volts. The ID plate shows connections for a 3 speed motor. The plate indicates all the correct wiring. The motor is low current - 880 ma - so you could use several ways to get all 3 speeds.

H, M, and L should indicate speeds.

Do realize that while you can get into your furnace and get this blower to work, it will not function correctly with the furnace controller. The connector will never be compatible, so you will have to discard both ends and make direct connections with wire nuts. Finding space and mounting for the 8 uF run capacitor may be a challenge. The speed selection control will have to be manually switched, as the controller will only be able to switch the fan on and off.

Any warranty on the furnace will be voided by this modification, and no electrician or furnace technician is going to do the installation for you. You need to be very sure this is important enough to do before proceeding. If damage to the furnace results or an electrical problem causes damage outside the furnace, no warranty or insurance will cover it.

freegoodkharma

Joined Dec 25, 2008
:)Thank you all very much. The electricians and the engineers could not help me. You all have. I do not know why but I have always found electronics guys to be very logical and generous and uncommon combination.

Thank you,
Larker Hautemar