AM Transmitter/Reciever Project

derenrich

Joined Nov 24, 2007
I'm a relative novice at electronics, but I'm planning on working on a fairly large scale project and I'm looking for some input. My goal is to either build or acquire a powerful AM transmitter (there is a local amateur radio club whose large transmitter I could use temporarily, I need a 300 ft range through some thick walls so I'm thinking I couldn't build a powerful enough transmitter myself) and many smaller receivers with amplified speakers. The goal is to have a single signal played simultaneously across many distributed speakers (the quality doesn't have to be great, just loud and distinguishable).

I'm wondering, how possible this is for an amateur to pull off? There is no rush and I can learn. Any tips on what sort of amplification circuits would be best? What would be some good resources to read?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Unlicensed operations is power limited.

What content are you "broadcasting"?

47 CFR is the government rules for telecommunications.

derenrich

Joined Nov 24, 2007
Unlicensed operations is power limited.

What content are you "broadcasting"?

47 CFR is the government rules for telecommunications.
I am aware. I will be broadcasting music. The club radio is registered which is one of the advantages of using their transmitter since (as I understand it) it is allowed to have higher power.

I thought below certain power thresholds people were given free reign though.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You do have free reign ... at 100 mW [0.1 watt] or less.

The club radio ... assuming you meant the local Amateur Radio club ... isn't for broadcasting music, at least not on the Amateur frequencies. Operators are licensed, not equipments. Equipments are compliant.

You can look for AM transmitters and find a few that are within the 100 mW power range.

http://www.northcountryradio.com/Kitpages/am88.htm has a AM transmitter kit.

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/rf/011/index.html has a schematic of a low power unit, but I would certainly not expect the frequency response suitable for broadcasting.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just reminding you of the laws in an effort to keep you out of trouble.