Aluminum Project Box

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
I finally finished that project http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=94435

Now I need a decent enclosure I was thinking about one of those hammond aluminum enclosures ( http://www.hammondmfg.com/1457.htm ). Will be better than a plastic one the thing is that box will have 2 switches that will be switching 115VAC How can I make that box to be safe? Is there a way to ground that box or insulate the inside with something like a rubber spraypaint? I'm afraid that if one of the wires comes lose inside the box I could get an electrical shock

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If there's no reason to shield the circuitry inside then a plastic box would be safer. If you want to use an aluminum box then connect the box to the safety ground (not neutral) from the mains connection. This means you need a three-wire power cord with the 3-prong plug. The safety ground will shunt away any voltage that may come in contact with the box.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If there's no reason to shield the circuitry inside then a plastic box would be safer. If you want to use an aluminum box then connect the box to the safety ground (not neutral) from the mains connection. This means you need a three-wire power cord with the 3-prong plug. The safety ground will shunt away any voltage that may come in contact with the box.
Just remeber that anodized aluminium is a quite poor conductor. A bonding or toothed washer is often required to make proper and reliable electrical grounding connection with a anodized aluminum frame

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
I'd like to use the aluminum one mostly for durability. I compared both boxes plastic and aluminum in a store and the aluminum one besides being almost 3 times more expensive probably would never have to be replaced on the other hand the plastic box probably will crack at some point. It's for a remote control the box will have 2 toggle switches for UP DOWN LEFT & RIGHT control.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
I sugurest you learn to solder, then the wiers wont be coming off inside the box. also, a strain releif on wires entering ande leaving the box.