alternator current problem

keithg

Joined Jan 17, 2009
I was advised that a stepper motor would not produce the current we need so I built a ceiling fan alternator based upon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf923InYeH8&feature=related which is supposed to make 2 amps. Mine will only do .30 under load, or even less than the stepper. The ceiling fan is a six wire, two coil motor. Using the first and second highest ohm reading, I ran these through a bridge and capacitor. Turning with an exercise machine, the motor does nearly 50vdc. Is there a different method of wiring that will reduce the voltage and increase current?

aliensong

Joined May 13, 2009
Hummm.... You method seems not too bad, but I think it sure have another new way to do so. I will look into this problem and if I get new ideas, I will post here for you.

keithg

Joined Jan 17, 2009
Thank you. I am leaving for a remote area of the Philippines in two weeks and hope to have something useful for a village that has no power. Even a bicycle generator charging a six volt battery would be welcome. The magnets are from a hard drive and the fan motor is from the dumpster. To be practical, the unit must be VERY cheap since they have no money nor can I afford to buy new alternators by the dozen.