Alternatives to 11.1V 1500mAH Li-poly

Little Ghostman

Joined Jan 1, 2014
Hi this is for my helicopter project, I had only flirted with google over this, the main reason being when it comes to battery technology, I am lacking all but the very basic knowledge, so I thought rather than get caught in the middle of alot of stuff I dont understand, I would ask for opinions.
Currently the battery pack is a 11.1V 1500mAH Li-poly, from the start it has never been good, it ran low quickly <5min, took ages to charge >3hr, and despite using a so called balanced charge unit, after 5 charges it would not hold any charge.
I have seen a helicopter like mine with upgrades, these included 2x battery packs, What I am really after is 2 packs (small as I can) at or above 11.1V 1500mAH, in an ideal world I would like to get above 12V.
I do have a more radical power idea, but first I would like to just use a couple of battery packs, then I might consider a more radical option.
Thank you in advance and I hope you understand why I am ignoreing my friend google for now :D

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Li-pol are the battery of choice for RC now due to the very high current capacity.
You may want to increase to at least a 2500maH.
What is the motor type/size?
Max.

Little Ghostman

Joined Jan 1, 2014
Sorry for my ignorance, AC-in runners? erm "whats that" :D. I am also going to try a really mad method, but no details on that until I have the thing back up and running.
I was shocked at the cost of batteries!
I will start looking for decent charger circuits, I would prefer to build my own (its a learning thing), I was going to throw out the helicopter, but I am pleased I didnt.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
RC outrunners and inrunners are AC motors that either have the rotating armature on the inside (inrunner) like a DC brushed or have the coils on the inside (stationary) and the P.M. field rotates on the outside (outrunner).
Max.

Little Ghostman

Joined Jan 1, 2014
RC outrunners and inrunners are AC motors that either have the rotating armature on the inside (inrunner) like a DC brushed or have the coils on the inside (stationary) and the P.M. field rotates on the outside (outrunner).
Max.

Thank you Max, I am now however in a hard place near a rock! The batteries are expensive (very), so are motors, for now I will keep the brushed ones, it wont hurt while I get some the others things developed, but maybe in the long run it would be better to go for better motors first, then worry about power.
My main problem is the batteries I have seem dead as a dodo, it could be the charger I suppose, I might try and see if I can make a quick and dirty charger for the pack I have. Mostly I just want to take some base reading's for the different rotational speed ect, and find the point at which the tail motor kicks in and that kind of thing, then I will strip the helicopter down, and start the rebuild and modification's .
Whatever I do I need to decide soon as it's holding me up, later I am going the petrol engine type route, I have a old airplane engine and a brushed motor from a cordless drill, it might not work but I want to try generating the electricity using them. This will only happen after I have it working in a more conventional way. I am trying to get 30 mins fly time, but thats looking doubtful at the moment, unless I spend serious money on motors etc. Once I start rebuilding I might decide it's worth spending on, it's a good basic shell and a large helicopter, it just had some corners cut when it was made.
Thanks for the help I will look into the different motor types
LG