Alternative iPhone charging?

MrKitty

Joined Oct 6, 2012
Hi there guys,

My goal is creating an iPhone charger that would charge it through different pins (not the default pins on the 30pin-connector). Or in other words making a charger that would not be compatible with any other iPhone except mine.

Building the charge can be simple enough since I could take a normal charger, cut the 30pin-connector and then wiring my own 30pin-connector.
The real problem is the modding the 30pin-female connector inside the iPhone. Can I just short some unused pins with the default charge pins?
I've tried looking up some detailed pictures of the inside connector but could quite hit the spot, most of them were too small to be able to see what's going on in there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction towards making this modification happen?

My main goal is to make it so that no other phone can be charged with this charger other then mine.

I appreciate all help on the subject.

MrKitty

Joined Oct 6, 2012
Well whenever I bring my charger to work it becomes the neighborhood bike for charging iPhones. And at the end of the day I've got to go around the office looking for it.

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Cut a short length off the charger cord at the connector end,fit some exotic 30 pin male connector to the cut off piece,
You now have a little adaptor cord with a normal iPhone connector on one end to fit your phone,& a different connector on the other.

Now fit a female connector of the same type to the free end of your charger cord.

Keep the adaptor cord in your wallet,& in use,just connect it in line & charge your iPhone as normal.
As long as you remember to remove the adaptor cord,they can't use it ,& will lose interest.

This way,you won't butcher your iPhone,& will be able to use a normal charger if necessary.

MrKitty

Joined Oct 6, 2012
I've thought about this option already (the one with the connector switching) it won't work since my phone is being charged during work so people can see that the connector is there and will ask questions about it or would ask for it when taking the charger.

What I aim for is that the charger would be useless to anyone else but my phone.

I've found this video on ifixit.com that explains how to remove the dock connector (inside the phone) and I've also found a dock connector on ebay. I could just make the connector from the one I buy and leave the original one intact in case I screw things up.

The question is which of the pins are not mainly used so I could just short them with the original charging pins (so the current still travels to where it's supposed to go and not fry something) and at the flex cable side I would pull out the pins that lead to the alternative charging pins, that way the current will not reach some chip or whatever and fry it.

What do you guys think?

Update:
Just found this pinout of the 30pin-connector
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/iPhone_connector_pinout.shtml

It shows that pins 8-10 are unused so I can either tap into those or I can just use the pins marked for firewire since I'm never going to use firewire, ground will stay the same pin. On the flex cable side I'll pull out the fire wire pins so that they won't connect to the phones MB and thus prevent components frying.

Any thoughts so far?

Last edited:

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Your best alternative is to charge your iPhone at home,or learn to say NO!!:D

All the other nonsense will end up with you having a broken phone,so you can then buy another brand & give your workmates the iPhone charger.