alternative AD521 op amp

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The AD521 is an instrumentation amplifier and so if you are to have a chance of coming close to an alternate you will need to use three high-quality conventional opamps.

hgmjr

greens

Joined Jan 31, 2008
this is a question that i have on my homework this is what it says word for word...
"If you could not find a AD521 Op Amp what would be an alternative IC?"

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
What other opamps have you studied in class?

It may turn out that the answer is along the lines I have already indicated. That being that you would need to use three conventional opamps to mimic the AD521 instrumentation amplifier.

hgmjr

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Every semiconductor manufacturer makes instrumentation amplifier ICs. Look at the spec's of the one to be replaced and look at the hundreds of others to choose from.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I suggest that you do a LOT of research on instrumentation amplifiers, and find at least a couple of alternatives that ARE instrumentation amplifiers.

I'm not a professor, but if I were and someone came in my class suggesting that op amps could be used instead, I'd give them an F.

While the assertion that individual op amps can be used as instrumentation amplifiers is true, it is cost prohibitive, PCB-real-estate hogging and extremely labor intensive from a manufactureability/maintainability/reliability point of view. You might as well recommend building an LM317 voltage regulator IC from discrete components.

Instrumentation amplifiers have their resistors laser-trimmed at the factory, and have guaranteed CMRR. You really can't hope to even get close to that with discrete op amps unless you spend some time "tweaking" each amp - and that means pots, and that means expense and parts that will go out of alignment.

But to understand the kind of answer your professor wants to hear, you should know something of their background. If they have any background in manufacturing whatsoever, they will expect a substitute instrumentation amplifier that is a pin-compatible plug-in replacement.

Along with a backup source.

If their background is purely acadamia, they'll likely expect exacting specifications for an equivalent op-amp circuit, including tolerances for all components.

Even 0.1% resistors aren't good enough to ensure sufficient CMRR in many cases.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Greetings green,

I do hope you will let us know what answer your instructor expected to receive for this question once you know for sure.

hgmjr