alternating current circuit calculations

omaroski

Joined Jun 19, 2008
Hello,
sorry for the bad english but i'm from Italy.

If, in a capacitive circuit, i calculate capacitive reactance (knowing generator frequency and condensor's capacitance) through the formula:

Xc=1/2π*f*C

and then, knowing the RMS voltage of the generator i calculate the current with ohm's law:

I=V/Xc

can i get the RMS value for current and is the right way of doing the calculation or there's any problems related to voltage and current being out of phase?

Thank you, hope i explained it good
Omar

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If the circuit does not include a resistor or other component in series or parallel with the capacitor then you can do it.

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
and then, knowing the RMS voltage of the generator i calculate the current with ohm's law:

I=V/Xc
With the impedance formula, you mean.

can i get the RMS value for current and is the right way of doing the calculation or there's any problems related to voltage and current being out of phase?
If you use the RMS voltage, you will get the RMS current. If the resistance is negligible, then the current will lead the voltage by almost 90 degrees. A negligible amount of energy will be dissipated by the capacitor. I don't know, is there a problem with the phase of the current to the voltage being 90 degrees?

Ratch