Alternating 24v DC motor circuit

dnaquin

Joined Sep 6, 2013
I have a 24v DC motor I wish to run (approx)1 sec. forward then 1 sec. in reverse and continue alternating this action as long as the electricity is switched on.
This seems like it would be a very basic circuit.
Has anyone ever seen a circuit like this, if so give me a hint on what to search for.

I've searched the archives, but can't seem to find the right search criteria.

Thanks in advance . . .electronics Noobie

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do need to run forward for a distance or strictly a given time?
Various ways to do it, timed flip flop etc!
There have been a few of this type of circuit posted recently.
Max.

dnaquin

Joined Sep 6, 2013
Thanks for the reply,
A given time, although it would be nice if the circuit allowed you to vari that time.
The 24v motor is actually a very geared down small motor so it's final rpm is only about 45 to 60 rpm.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If you only have two status,maybe you can using NE555 astable circuit + MOSFET.
If you want to using more status, maybe you can using NE555 + CD4017 + MOSFET, and then the MOSFET to drive the motor.

dnaquin

Joined Sep 6, 2013
I've played around with with the 555 circuits with simple LEDs flashing .
But how do I get the circuit to change the polarity of the motor every second and make the motor go forward and backward as long as it is connected to the power source.
Can you give me an idea of what key words I can search for to find a circuit like this.
I'm a electronics Newbie so I don't know how to design a circuit to perform this function.
Thanks for the replies.
david

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
They are called H-Bridge. They can be made from transistors, FETs and even relays. How big is the motor (amps/volts) and how many cycles will you need in it's lifetime?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The easy way is the output of NE555 adding a bjt to drive a 24V relay, and the relay at least has 6 contacts, connecting the two com pins to the power of motor, the other two N.O,N.C pins used to exchange the polarity of 24V power.

Another way is H-Bridge as ronv mentioned, whatever you search on this site or google, you will get a lots of infos.