Allied Electronics, don't trust them.

massimj

Joined May 5, 2013
I ordered a Agilent U34461A from their web site. It let me calculate the shipping via various methods and I chose USPS priority mail. Their web site quoted a bit over $10 for the shipping. their web site said it would be actual cost. When they shipped on the 16th, the charge was $43. It is not the 21rst and I still don't have it. So my best guess is that they lied to me about the ship date. They may have over charged me on shipping but when I called them, they said they would email me the actual shipping receipt with the weight. I got neither, just a simple receipt like the one they emailed to me.

When I did a USPS quote on shipping 15 pounds, the cost was half of what they charged me. the only way it could be more is if they walked that package down to the post office and waited in line. You all know that would never happen, they get pick-up service from all the major shippers.

When I told a friend about what happened, he said that his company would spend $10k per month with them, and they had so many problems with the way they do business, they had to go elsewhere.

Has anyone had a similar experience with Allied? My package came out of Orlando, Julie is the one who said it shipped on the 16th. I am in Florida, and I could drive to Orlando in 2 hours. they don't respond to any of my email. no package, no response, no apology for quoting one price on-line, and another in reality. I'm pissed with this whole situation.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
USPS "priority mail" is notoriously unreliable out here. It's ridiculous. I don't know why they charged such a high shipping rate, I would not pay it. They should have given you a tracking number so you can see where it is.

massimj

Joined May 5, 2013
I agree, I ship many packages, my ebay account has over 900 transactions on both buying and selling. Most of it is electronic in nature. They gave me a delivery confirmation number, and that doesn't do anything until it is delivered. Also, it is the very cheapest type of tracking there is, nothing like what $43 should have gotten me. It's been 5 days so far, and with Sunday, I will be up to 7 days on Monday. Something stinks with the way they do business.

I can only suggest that anyone doing business with Allied, be very, very careful.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Give them a call. Everyone makes mistakes. They have been around as a distributor for years. I am sure they will help you out if you nicely explain what happened and clearly tell them what you need - they will likely credit your card.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
LOL.

An old co-worker of mine used to own Allied many, many years ago.

Here is an old new article form a trade show in Pittsburgh

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...dBRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MGwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2778,3348946

We worked at a computer store together. {I built one of the very first IBM PCs in Pittsburgh).

He was still working well into his 70s.

Edit: I should add that he was worth millions but felt the need to still work and at a tiny little computer store no less. :)

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
and what did your order confirmation say it would be for shipping?
just send them that and I'm sure they will get it all taken care of.
people make mistakes.

BUT I would never order from Allied anyways.. EVERYTHING I've ever searched for was more expensive at Allied.. I ONLY use Digikey, Mouser, Newark and Online Components..

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
and what did your order confirmation say it would be for shipping?
just send them that and I'm sure they will get it all taken care of.
people make mistakes.

BUT I would never order from Allied anyways.. EVERYTHING I've ever searched for was more expensive at Allied.. I ONLY use Digikey, Mouser, Newark and Online Components..
Allied had some friendly regional sales reps up until recently and a lot of companies counted on these reps to present new parts from the OEMs and handle any custome service issues. Allied still has the reps as far as I know but companies that you mentioned have greatly improved their websites over the past few years (10) while Allied has stuck with their poor search features and awkward shopping cart.

In the end, Allied was acquired by TANDY (RadioShack) at one time and most recently, RS from the UK. They have a huge warehouse in Forth Worth area. About 10 years ago, I was working on project with Lockheed in Forth Worth and i told my local rep I could just stop by the warehouse if I needed anything else, she said, don't try to go there, they won't sell anything except by mail order.

The other extreme is Jameco near the San Fran Airport. They encourage customers to order as "will-call", and pick up at the receptionist desk on the same day. No processing charge, no minimum order. Teir selection is iffy sometimes and they like to serve the hobbyist and obsolete parts crowd but their customer service is great - especially if you live in the area.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
LOL.

An old co-worker of mine used to own Allied many, many years ago.

Here is an old new article form a trade show in Pittsburgh

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...dBRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MGwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2778,3348946

We worked at a computer store together. {I built one of the very first IBM PCs in Pittsburgh).

He was still working well into his 70s.

Edit: I should add that he was worth millions but felt the need to still work and at a tiny little computer store no less. :)
The wiki says the company was in Chicago. Was your friend the Pittsburgh regional account rep or did he own a completely different company named Allied Electronics?
Wiki

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
... I chose USPS priority mail. Their web site quoted a bit over $10 for the shipping. their web site said it would be actual cost. When they shipped on the 16th, the charge was $43.
Contact Paypal or your credit card bank and arrange a charge-back. You are entitled to do that on an internet order where the seller has charged you an incorrect amount.

They will give you all your money back, then the seller must apply for a dispute to get the correct amount from you later.

It's a great help if you have a screen capture or printout of the original quoted charge, and a copy of what they actually charged you. Those two pieces of evidence prove what you should have paid, vs what you did pay.