all about scr's

naveen gupta

Joined Nov 5, 2011
i want to make an ac voltage regulator using scr that can give me 6 volt ac voltage as output , i am using 230 v ac as input voltage, can anyone tell me scr part no. that i should use?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

To create a 6 Volts AC from the 230 Volts, you will need a transformer.
A transformerless powersupply can NOT be discussed over here, as it will be UNSAFE.

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Really heavy duty power supply can use SCR's to regulate, but in general it is very loose regulation.

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
Not only does it need a transformer, it needs series inductance or at least a transformer with poor coupling (high leakage inductance) to control the peak current into the capacitor. It must also have a voltage feedback loop to keep the voltage stable--open loop performance is poor.

How many amps? I can give you a good circuit.

Last edited:

samin

Joined Oct 14, 2011
i want to make an ac voltage regulator using scr that can give me 6 volt ac voltage as output , i am using 230 v ac as input voltage, can anyone tell me scr part no. that i should use?
Perhaps you mean a 3-terminal TO220 device (LM78xx) which looks like an SCR ?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I used to service fork lift battery chargers that went up to 600A. They use SCRs.

A small regulator typically runs 1A to 3A.

But I notice the OP has not mentioned current requirements, which is a major oversight.